On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:27 pm 

Man, that would be a nice score!

Those have got to be tough to find.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:09 am 

Dave Goodman (the drummer from Australia) is a fantastic character, and a great drummer, for sure...

Who knows, if he's into the SQ2 - those floor toms might do a trip around the world... :)

You know what they say Justin - "hope dies last"... ;)

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:12 am 

I never mentioned them because they are birch rather than maple; Hale sold them to Mitch (bikeboo at sonormuseum). Birch sizing was always different from maple for reasons I never understood, but the 18 floor, for instance, was only made 16" deep at most. Curious.

These will serve to whet your appetite. http://www.sonormuseum.com/forum/viewto ... ers#p32552

Cruel, I know. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:39 am 

Goki wrote:
Who knows, if he's into the SQ2 - those floor toms might do a trip around the world... :)

Goki,

I've already asked if he'd sell for the right price. No DICE!!! haha

Dave said (and I quote): "Yeah, these are the drums that I bought to last the rest of my life. I have 19 drums in that set - everything except (regrettably) 15" toms."

It's great to actually see pictures of them though...I feel like I've spotted a Yetti!!!! :shock:

Gregory wrote:
I never mentioned them because they are birch rather than maple; Hale sold them to Mitch (bikeboo at sonormuseum).

Greg,

Rightfully so! Although the grain and lugs are what I'm looking for, Birch just isn't as pleasing of a sound to me. The first and most important characteristic of my drums are the sound...Once I find that, then I look for my aesthetic preference.

Either way, thanks for the link...Designer's (no matter what model) always make for some good eye-candy! :)

Designer Maple Light (Bubinga) 8,10,12,14,16, 22 kick
Force Custom (Bee-Bop Jazz) 12,14, 18 kick
Remo Roto Tom (Chrome) 14, 16
Snare HLD 588 Signature

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:23 am 

Justin,

Just saw this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... SS:US:1123

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:47 am 

I seem to have missed whole chunks of this thread, and just now looked at Goodman's kit. The floors, at least the 14, appear not to be square, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. Lighting and viewing angles are not helping.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:28 am 

Goki wrote:
Dave Goodman (the drummer from Australia) is a fantastic character, and a great drummer, for sure...

A bit o/t:
Dave is a great guy. I just bought his HLD-596 (Bronze 6 1/2 Signature) that he custom-ordered from Sonor in 1997.

I really really really promise to post photos of my snare collection in the next week or so. My winter break starts the 22nd of December. :D

:ugeek: Brian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:36 pm 

Hookd on Phonics wrote:
I just bought his HLD-596 (Bronze 6 1/2 Signature) that he custom-ordered from Sonor in 1997.

I really really really promise to post photos of my snare collection in the next week or so. My winter break starts the 22nd of December. :D

:ugeek: Brian

Seems to me that you have been building quite a snare collection of late, Brian. What's the motivating factor? Specific sounds, curiosity, money burning a hole in your pocket... ? :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:24 pm 

Cliff,

Again, thanks for the head's up! Got your e-mail but failed to notice this thread until now.

Goki,

Thanks for the word's of encouragement! My hope for the long-lug bubinga's continues to persist!!!! :D

Gregory,

Dave personally said that the floor toms were square so I'm just going on his word. Perhaps the pictures you saw were of his 14x12 and 16x14 hanging floors (which he converted to free-standing with RIM Mounts)!?!? He has both types of F.T.'s for his kit (...and my jealousy!). lol

Designer Maple Light (Bubinga) 8,10,12,14,16, 22 kick
Force Custom (Bee-Bop Jazz) 12,14, 18 kick
Remo Roto Tom (Chrome) 14, 16
Snare HLD 588 Signature

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:40 pm 

Justin wrote:

Dave personally said that the floor toms were square so I'm just going on his word. Perhaps the pictures you saw were of his 14x12 and 16x14 hanging floors (which he converted to free-standing with RIM Mounts)!?!? He has both types of F.T.'s for his kit (...and my jealousy!). lol

Yup, those were the ones I thought I saw. I glad to hear that my eyes weren't deceiving me. ;) I have been wondering why you don't mount your floors on legs, or on RIMS on legs.

Have you been gigging on that kit? The reason I ask is that in larger rooms where I played that kit, the under-square floors were voluminous. I mean, they filled a large hall in a way that they never did at home. The 16 in particular was a surprise; I found any and every excuse to hit it.