On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please host your photos in a third party location, and use the [img] function to link to them.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:01 am 

Quote:
"The sound of a drum comes only from the heads; the shell only gives the volume of the resonance space."

How many people would have a baby over that statement??

I'm not sure "sound" is the right word there but I get what they are saying.
I have long believed that I care more about the shell size vs the material it is made out of.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:15 pm 

I would understand what he meant if there were an absolute ideal toward which all drums aspired. But if that were true, there would only be less or more expensive drums depending on weight and shell thickness.

Was Oliver saying that the fundamental tone is the best sound a drum can make? Apparently not, because "Some people want to hear some overtones, so with the Sonorlite, you get a reduced basic tone with more overtones. It is a livelier, more colorful sound." Was he suggesting that those people were deficient in some Nietzschean fashion?

A number of guys who played teardrops back in the day would have nothing to do with Phonics. So pretty clearly, they didn't hear "sound" the way "Oliver Linknot" [sic] heard it.

Kelly, I would agree with you about materials not making much difference, if it weren't for the birch Classix. The way they responded, and their lack of midrange belly, just seems to me to be birch related, in part because my teardrops sure don't sound like that, and in part because the Classix sounded the way birch is advertised to sound.

Perhaps there is a function that, all else being equal, the thinner the shell the more the material affects the overall sound? I can believe that.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:03 pm 

Quote:
Perhaps there is a function that, all else being equal, the thinner the shell the more the material affects the overall sound? I can believe that.

That makes sense to me.

Quote:
if it weren't for the birch Classix The way they responded

I imagine I know exactly what you experienced. I experienced the same thing with SClass Pro's, and they were Maple. My conclusion was, thin shelled, less hardware and isolation mounts produced more volume, projection, resonance and warmer sounding than their higher line siblings.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:41 pm 

My favorite part of the Oliver Links quote:

"The research that has been done, and is still being done, at the Federal Institute wasn't commissioned by Sonor. It is available to everyone, but nobody else has taken it up!"
This needs to be translated out of the German to make sense. It means,

"I know you dumpkopfs defeated us in the last war, but the State has spoken: this is the ultimate and purely scientific solution to the problem. Why don't you listen?"

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:13 am 

They may have had more ears listen to the research if it wasn't conducted by "The Federal Institute". For a country that had a totalitarian "problem", it does sounds a bit like you might be committed to the Institute if you don't agree with their findings! ;)

- D.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:39 am 

cliff wrote:
Hey Kelly,

Sorry to hear of the thievery, but happy that the thief got there before the drum did.
:?

I thought of the same thing... :(

GREAT SNARE - it looks fantastic!!!

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:45 am 

" Shells with thicker walls and equipped with the same type of heads have the same spectrum of overtones as thin shells. However, the projection of the fundamental tone is better. The sound seems softer and fuller."

What MORE TO ASK of a snare drum???

Congratulations once more Kelly - it's heavy on the hand for sure, but the sound should be a joy to the ears!!!

Let the good drums roll!!!