On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please host your photos in a third party location, and use the [img] function to link to them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:20 pm 

I have veneered much ebony, but very little rosewood.

On that last post, I was going to say, "Now you're ready to do another" but decided not to appear to diminish the achievement of what you've accomplished. Well now, as I was saying before I interrupted myself: (ahem)

You've gone through the steepest part of the learning curve, and are now ready to begin to perfect your craft. Knowing what I know about glues - I would use hide glue... the hot kind. That's going to take your curve up slightly, but I think you'll love the stuff, and I am willing to bet you have no shrinkage. If I ever get around to veneering drums, it will be hot hide glue time.

If you are methodical, you could make a small test sample before working with your drums and designated veneers to make sure you like it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:15 pm 

Gregory wrote:

That finish color is really lovely. For my taste, I'd loose the black reso because it's one too many (and overwhelming) thing going on. A white, coated (non-reflective) head would allow my eyes to rest easier.

I had a smooth white reso that I thought would look good, but I hated it.
I think a Fybreskin would lok perfect, but I don't have the $100 odd it would cost down here, to splurge.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:41 am 

Quote:
The seller was named rjfritz123 or something like that. He's still sells nice veneer batches on Ebay

Same guy I used. I have him saved as a favorite.

Those drums look great. Daym good job.
I have found the hardest part of veneering is not screwing up the inside of the drum. There are countless ways to do that in the process.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:59 am 

How I spun my drums. Worked great for spraying.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:43 am 

I'd love to chop that 14 Mahogany tom into a 14x8 snare. :twisted: Got a couple of kits it would match. ;)
Fantastic set up you had. I was much less organized. :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:17 pm 

More set up pics. This is a set up I use for jamming. I don't usually have a tom next to hihat like I've set up the 12. But I thought I'd chuck it in there for some pics.
Enjoy. :D

Edited 'cos I messed up the pics. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:31 pm 

You can go into business. A lot of Sonor guys would have preferred Phonics if they'd been as pretty as Sigs.

Any thoughts in retrospect about knocking the gloss back with 4xxxx wool and waxing?

Oh, I see you changed the photos! Question 2: How do the Classix Ebauxny hold up next to these... visually, that is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:36 pm 

Gregory wrote:
You can go into business. A lot of Sonor guys would have preferred Phonics if they'd been as pretty as Sigs.

Any thoughts in retrospect about knocking the gloss back with 4xxxx wool and waxing?

Oh, I see you changed the photos! Question 2: How do the Classix Ebauxny hold up next to these... visually, that is.

Thanks, Gregory. I don't think there is any way you could make money doing this the way I did. It wasn't expensive, but it sure was time consuming. Obviously things will become more efficient as you go on, but.
Now these shells are pretty close to Signature thickness, other than depths there is probably very little difference in weight and more importantly production costs.

I'm kinda happy with the gloss at the moment. I have 5x satin veneered kits and this is the only glossy woodgrain kit I own.

In the flesh the Schlebony looks like Schlebony. It doe's photo quite well, but next to each other in person there is NO comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:39 pm 

GREAT work!!!

Nothing but "AMAZING" comes into my mind.........

WOW ;) ;) ;) ;)

Wonderful project Jeff - simply fantastic...

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:40 am 

Nice job Jeff!

If you ever want different hoops, I can't recommend Jodi at Stellar enough!!

http://www.stellardrum.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next