On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please host your photos in a third party location, and use the [img] function to link to them.

Post subject: Kelly is right
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:45 am 

Cliff lies

Post subject: Re: Kelly is right
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:42 am 

Never liked the shape of their lugs. But those drums look cool for sure!

- D.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:06 am 

Very nice, Kel.

Coincidentally, I was just thinking yesterday how the attraction of wood veneered drums has lost much of its appeal, due to proliferation throughout the lines (remember when bubinga and ebony drums were unique and basically unobtainable?), proliferation through the manufacturers and, worst of all, by the advent of fauxwood "finishes."

I am not saying I want to offload my bubinga kit. But I am fairly convinced that if I were to buy new, it would be a wrap. The effort of muscling Designers around has me considering options. Either I start a workout regimen or I get something that hurts my joints less.

Only drawback: since childhood I've hated the visible seam. One of you guys can have this money making idea: Heat shrink tubing to cover drum shells. So far, I think you're limited to 8" drums, but you can enlarge on that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:16 pm 

So....

...are there any others we have missed? ;)

Nice looking kit, Kel.

Must have been very disappointing when you could not get addition pieces to match.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:43 pm 

Greg, I so understand. Really.
Veneer has lost it's appeal to me also. I could have gotten the Ludwigs in a nice Birdseye veneer. Couldn't do it. The natural Satan looked more neutral and appealing to me.
I also turned away from the wrap because the seam bothers me too. I am happy with what I chose.

This kit is not a wrap. This kit sat around because the color on the internet was not appealing. So they were marked down considerably.
In person they are incredible looking. Much deeper and darker than pictures can show. At least by your novice camera man trying to sell something.
There is no way I could get pictures to show the inside of these drums. Really a thing of beauty. Very dark, rich, heavily grained walnut. Would have been a spectacular
outside finish.
I know I said it, and I'll stand behind it. Beautiful sounding drums.

Cliff, I was very disappointed. I have not completely given up on Saturns yet though. If I am reading the internet correctly,
the earlier "Saturn Pros" they were called, came in the 10x9, 12x10 etc config. Not 100 percent sure. But I would love to run into some if it's true.

I had the SClass Pro's before these right? For the same reason I didn't post these pictures, kit was incomplete. I couldn't find a 8 tom for the kit.
I was waiting for the new drums to come in for the Saturns to take pic's and you know how that turned out.
Enough excuses??

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:07 pm 

I felt that way about the veneer as well. I didnt want to take them out of the house because I knew they were going to get a ding, and then another, and then they would be not as appealing for resale. I have lacquer over wood grain that I dont care so much about as well as wrapped kits. I dont think I would invest in a nice veneer kit and play it out ever. Over the years some bizarre things have happened on stage(notably a PA cab flying across the stage when it came free of the stand as the curtain was being drawn, I was down in the pit and the cab BOUNCED OFF my bass drum as I scrambled backwards into the audience). Its not worth the money.

If I could find a beat up designer kit I would, but I haven't. That's why I bought a Maple Custom kit with some dings. They sound great and I don't worry about them.

The natural maple Ludwig finish is timeless, I hope you like it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:21 pm 

tim wrote:
I felt that way about the veneer as well. I didnt want to take them out of the house because I knew they were going to get a ding, and then another, and then they would be not as appealing for resale..

If they get dinged, it's called mojo. Or patina. If they become precious, it's time to move on to something less binding. I had that happen with a pen. Got a really nice and expensive one, and found myself spending more time thinking about the pen than doing anything creative with it.

Still, having a PA land on the kit would be a challenge to one's equanimity. :lol:

Kelly, natural Satan really grabs the eye. :shock:

What's holding the rack up?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:23 pm 

Geez I really typed that. wow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:30 pm 

Did you mean engineered satan? Dont bring up that old argument

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:32 pm 

Gregory wrote:
tim wrote:
I felt that way about the veneer as well. I didnt want to take them out of the house because I knew they were going to get a ding, and then another, and then they would be not as appealing for resale..

If they get dinged, it's called mojo. Or patina. If they become precious, it's time to move on to something less binding. I had that happen with a pen. Got a really nice and expensive one, and found myself spending more time thinking about the pen than doing anything creative with it.

I guess that means I didn't really get along with them, I was just making excuses for not taking them out of the house.