On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please host your photos in a third party location, and use the [img] function to link to them.

Post subject: TEARS AND SKIN
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:08 am 

Up and running, and sounding great. The drums were always attractive, but now they now catch the eye. Judge for yourself.

One change: I've noticed the bass sounds a little flat with the tom mounted, so the tom is now on a stand. Didn't notice that before - although I don't think I paid attention, so it may be down to the reduced resonance available with the head combination. The sound is punchy, fat, big, and round - the sound of a lot of air moving - and then a quick decay. It also has lots of controllable pedal (dynamics) available, and is wonderful whether feathered or thumped.

The bass is also remarkably stationary, probably in large part because of the velcro under the pedal board, but I am experiencing none of the motion that gave it an insecure feeling previously. I broke down and bought an adhesive backed rubber pad (made by Gibraltar for metal hoops), so the docking station is securely attached - something I didn't do earlier. That was just laziness on my part.

The calf head on the Lite works beautifully, and I am increasingly coming to understand and enjoy it. If you have a snare sitting around because it sounds a little thin, pop this head on. Gorgeous rim shot ring, a bright outer area contrasting with a deep, solid, beefy middle strike, and when you really hit it, you just get more gut. It does not choke. The tuning issues are pretty minor compared to the joy of playing it. Can't tell whether the head is improving with use or I'm just getting more hip to tuning it, but whichever.

Post subject: Re: TEARS AND SKIN
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:59 am 

Like your new avatar.

Like the new finish. Superb job

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:15 pm 

Thanks, Kel. I suddenly got really tired of looking at that old av.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:34 pm 

Hey Greg,

The kit looks great!

The reports on the calf head continue to sound interesting, and they may yet get me to try one.

Interested in hearing how it works out in changing environments, and over a gig duration.

Are you planning on tracking a clip with the teardrops any time soon? ;)

p.s. What I like most about the new avatar is that any of us could use it.
:? :lol:

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:07 pm 

The kit looks gorgeous!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:09 pm 

Thanks, David. Almost too nice. I hadn't intended to go this far, but that's what happens when you get started. Even mundane jobs have a life of their own and you've just gotta go with it.

In any case, I was very lucky - you know what they looked like - and I didn't imagine they would clean up this well.

Had some repairs to make, particularly where the square holes for the carriage bolts had been rounded off - somebody really torqued the nuts down at some point! I filled the holes with epoxy mixed with micro balloons, then drilled and filed them out again. Nothing too serious, and they're now stronger than original.

The badges looked pretty bad, but I sprayed a coat of clear lacquer over them which made them look a lot better, surprisingly.

Also didn't expect to go this far with the finish, but the trouble with shellac is that it keeps looking better the more you rub on, and it's kind of addictive. Now I have to be careful not to knock them around. S##t!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:19 am 

Nice job Greg!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:02 am 

cliff wrote:
Hey Greg,

The kit looks great!

The reports on the calf head continue to sound interesting, and they may yet get me to try one.

Interested in hearing how it works out in changing environments, and over a gig duration.

Are you planning on tracking a clip with the teardrops any time soon? ;)

p.s. What I like most about the new avatar is that any of us could use it.
:? :lol:

Sure, you can use my new avatar, Cliff. ;)

Further reports on the calf have been forestalled. Had a band practice yesterday, and there are too many new things happening at once - practice in the studio area, the teardrops, and the calf head.

For what it's worth, the calf kept it's tuning throughout, although I still had to check the Lite periodically as always. No surprise there. But I was having a terrible time with the bass, struggling with the feel and volume of it. After rehearsal, I discovered that one of the batter side rods was loose, and that was the entire problem. :roll: Tunesafe, where are you?

People say they don't like tunesafes, and when changing heads,I don't like the feel of them, either. But having drums lose their tuning over a couple of hours playing adds a level of interest to the proceedings, and am spoiled not having to think about that.

In any case, when the kit and ambience issues get sorted, I'll put the calf back, but it's too much effort to try to incorporate all three variables at the same time.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:26 am 

Get some knurled nuts of the proper thread and diameter, and use them as lug locks.

It you don't mind using two tools to tune, they can be standard hex nuts instead of knurled.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:01 pm 

Thanks. Good idea.