On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please host your photos in a third party location, and use the [img] function to link to them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:37 pm 

Looking at ebay, and this thing popped up with a BIN, so I BINed it.

Advertised that it had no snares, and that seemed like a large but not insurmountable challenge.

What I had not counted on were metric heads. The snare side arrived with a wood shim to take up the excess distance between a metric rim and an international head.

Crazy old design! The most outrageous damper mechanism I've ever seen. Probably a way of keeping it from rattling:

Beautiful and straightforward mechanical device for the parallel snare mechanism:

One of these snare holders needs a bit of repairing, but I think I can machine away the broken material and screw a plate into position that will solve the problem and remain invisible. Details of the snare holders and fittings, and the "Sterne" (black with stars) wrap:

The gates are, miraculously, still intact:

No point in worrying about heads if I can't make the wires, but given success there, I'm going to have some calf heads made for it.

So not a story with an ending, but an interesting project being teased along. Been a little busy with drums around here lately. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:57 am 

GREAT!!!

A perfect project for the spring-summer. ;)

Congratulations Gregory... :)

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:29 pm 

So, 5 years later, got tired of having this sit in the closet. So I dropped the difficult problems associated with re-engineering a parallel system with extra length snare wires, and opted for a standard set from which I can at least get an idea of what this drum might sound like.

Trying to keep things metric, I found some some stainless steel 5mm eye hooks and thumb nuts with enough standoff to have a length of adjustment, did a little filing on the eyes so that the snare string didn't bind as the eyes went into the housings, tied a couple of square knots and voila:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:25 am 

Nice, clean, elegant solution.

The photo work continues to be as impressive as the project itself.
;)

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:15 am 

You gonna play that thing?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:02 am 

Been dialing it in. Likes much lower tunings than the Lite, particularly on the snare side.

I would have liked to have tried a new one, when the holders were parallel to each other. I suspect the reason for all the later snare bars was because it was impossible to keep the holders permanently aligned.

I have to hear it in practice to really know what it's doing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:02 am 

Gregory,
just a thought:

(second picture) If You run the thread through the outer holes of the snare strand, then the snare will sit totally flat on the head... :)

It's a bit better for the snare side head... :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:13 am 

Thanks, Goki. I tried that and it didn't work. Made the snares rattle under any tension.

Pearl states that a more open sound results from using the inner holes, and a drier, crisper sound from the outer ones, but that doesn't seem to apply here.

Something to do with the shape of the snare beds, I guess, or the angle of the strainer housings. I tried inverting the attachment points at the housings (resulting in a less severe string angle) but that just made the wires rattle more.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:00 am 

Gregory wrote:
Thanks, Goki. I tried that and it didn't work. Made the snares rattle under any tension.

Pearl states that a more open sound results from using the inner holes, and a drier, crisper sound from the outer ones, but that doesn't seem to apply here.

Something to do with the shape of the snare beds, I guess, or the angle of the strainer housings. I tried inverting the attachment points at the housings (resulting in a less severe string angle) but that just made the wires rattle more.

It was worth a couple of tries, I guess... :oops: ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:07 pm 

Goki wrote:

It was worth a couple of tries, I guess... :oops: ;)

I really did appreciate the suggestion. It would have been the right advice for a standard setup,... although I don't know exactly what they meant by crisp or more open, since I experienced the exact opposite of what I understood those to mean, on my drum.

I'm not too pleased with this drum unless it is tuned very high. Otherwise, it sounds two-dimensional. Still working with tuning, though.