On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please host your audio/video clip in a third party location, and use the [url] function to link to them.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:50 am 

cliff wrote:
Boiling a frog by gradually raising the heat comes to mind.

I was going to say...

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:06 am 

stevesmithfan wrote:
Very funny comment about my panning techniques. :) When I listen to your recordings, I have to turn my headphones around to listen from a drummers perspective. :lol:

You recording conscious guys! The sound stage never even enters my mind... at least not till I've paid to listen! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:39 am 

cliff wrote:
stevesmithfan wrote:
UPDATE: My DD settings are way off, all of my toms are out of tune. The bottom heads are fine, the top heads are way below my original DD settings. I blame that on stetched out drumheads that can't stay in tune. New Remo Ambassadors are being ordered. Thanks Gregory and Cliff for your great ears.
Greg

Cool.

Boiling a frog by gradually raising the heat comes to mind. Both it and de-tuning happen so gradually that you don't notice until it has gone too far.

I see that you are going back to Remo. What are your thoughts on Remo/Evans after your brief test with Evans?

p.s. I hear you on the panning issue. Funny what you get used to. My headphones are panned from drummer's perspective (from the mixer) while playing, and from audience perspective (from the DAW) on playback.

Thank Cliff. I was a little disappointed with the Evans heads, after 25 years of being accustomed to clear Ambassador Remo's, I found the G1 clears to be warmer sounding (less bright) than the Ambassador's. All IMO of course.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:04 am 

stevesmithfan wrote:
cliff wrote:
stevesmithfan wrote:
UPDATE: My DD settings are way off, all of my toms are out of tune. The bottom heads are fine, the top heads are way below my original DD settings. I blame that on stetched out drumheads that can't stay in tune. New Remo Ambassadors are being ordered. Thanks Gregory and Cliff for your great ears.
Greg

Cool.

Boiling a frog by gradually raising the heat comes to mind. Both it and de-tuning happen so gradually that you don't notice until it has gone too far.

I see that you are going back to Remo. What are your thoughts on Remo/Evans after your brief test with Evans?

p.s. I hear you on the panning issue. Funny what you get used to. My headphones are panned from drummer's perspective (from the mixer) while playing, and from audience perspective (from the DAW) on playback.

Thank Cliff. I was a little disappointed with the Evans heads, after 25 years of being accustomed to clear Ambassador Remo's, I found the G1 clears to be warmer sounding (less bright) than the Ambassador's. All IMO of course.

That defies my experience, but then definitions may differ. My sense is that the Evans material is a bit brighter, and I stopped using it with birch which was already overly attack oriented. On maple, it works a charm.

:!: :arrow: It seems suddenly warm in here...
:D

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:35 pm 

Gregory wrote:
... :!: :arrow: It seems suddenly warm in here...[/color] :D

You've got some work to do, too, eh? :? :lol:

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:53 pm 

cliff wrote:
Gregory wrote:
... :!: :arrow: It seems suddenly warm in here...[/color] :D

You've got some work to do, too, eh? :? :lol:

That in any case, but I was referring to [color=#800000] 8-)