On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please host your audio/video clip in a third party location, and use the [url] function to link to them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:50 am 

I put Remo heads on the SQ 2's.
Bass Drum:
Clear PS3 Batter side
Smooth White PS3 front side, no mic hole.
Snare Drum:
Coated Ambassador batter
Clear Diplomat snare side
Toms:
White Suede Ambasaadors
Clear Ambassadors bottoms.
This is my favorite head configuration, I like the fatness of Suede Ambasaadors.
Greg
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9221857

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:16 am 

Arena ready, Greg! To my ear it has a processed character so it wouldn't be the sound I'd pick if I had to live with just one forever, but it is fat... or what I'd call wet. Sounds like your having a lot of fun playing with the sonic possibilities of your great kit.

Thanks for posting!

:D

To speak personally about head choices, I have realized that a portion of decisions I made were dictated by what I would now call weaknesses in my playing. Because I used to hit the drums quite a bit more forcefully, stripes or double thickness heads were employed to mute out-of-control sonics. Oh, I was pretty pleased with myself for being such a hard hitter! :D

What I am coming to believe is that stretched membranes produce their most lush, fat and rich tone characteristics at low to moderate impact, just the same speakers; they begin to distort as more power is applied. And that the greatest projection of tone, complete with all its most expressive characteristics, can only be acquired by using the least damped heads practicable.

Volume is relative. Hilariously, once I began playing music that required greater finesse - and after trying lighter heads for about three seconds before ripping them off in terror - I began to use sticks that had less impact, like rods and brushes. So, using Signature drums with Pin heads, I was able to keep up my whacking ways by softening the impact point - and by exploding a pair of brushes in one evening's playing!

My goal now - and it is accompanied by some frustration - is to achieve all the sonic impact (depth, dynamics, projection, power, and general expressiveness) from my kit - that I once thought I was getting by force - through stealth. :o

My wife's son called drums "... very simple to take up and very difficult to master." Ain't that the truth! :ugeek:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:35 pm 

Thanks Gregory for your compliment, and insight on drumheads. I've always liked the fat attack on my toms, but never cared for the soft pillow feel and sound of typical 2 ply heads. I love the Remo Suede's. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:46 pm 

Those sound phenomenal!!! I'm VERY surprised with the sound - totally different from any previous recording...

GREAT!!!! :D :D :D :D

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:09 pm 

Thanks Goki, I moved the closed drum mics back a little. I think that's why it sounds different than my past recordings. I like this new one best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:04 pm 

I especially like the "my name is mud" bit....

I think that is the best recording of your kit I have heard! You and cliff are an inspiration on tuning and sounds these days, makes me want to get back into being a real tuning geek.

and by some birch sq2's ....damn those sound good

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:05 am 

tim wrote:

I think that is the best recording of your kit I have heard! You and cliff are an inspiration on tuning and sounds these days, makes me want to get back into being a real tuning geek.

Thanks Tim for putting me in with the caliber of Cliff. I'm very honored. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:50 am 

stevesmithfan wrote:
tim wrote:

Thanks Tim for putting me in with the caliber of Cliff. I'm very honored. :)

Like wise for me. I enjoy always having Greg 'raise the bar' and share info about how he did it, so we can both improve. ;)

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:55 pm 

Its an interesting evans/remo birch/maple condenser/dynamic argument. I guess that nice rack of pre's helps too ;)
Two completely different sounds. It must be the drummers