On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please host your audio/video clip in a third party location, and use the [url] function to link to them.

Post subject: Re: DROPS OF TEARDROPS
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:20 pm 

Gorgeous drum and cymbal sounds. I listened to the Macmate version. Greg... what is that cymbal on your far left with what looks like round depressions in it?

That studio is huge! Where were you able to find such a big space?

Just awesome...

- David

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:52 pm 

tim wrote:
I tried yesterday and couldnt get the wav file to work, but the macmate is fine today.

Drums and playing sound killer! Bass drum in particular has a great tone.
Cant wait to hear more

I'm pretty sure your new studio is the size of my new apartment, you are making me miss my old drum room.

Thanks very much indeed, Tim!

The studio is about 1200 sq.' if I remember aright. Truly an embarrassment of space.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:58 pm 

Kelly wrote:
Wow look at that! Some more pics worthy of a magazine. Geez Greg
I got the files to play. Love it. Don't think I've ever heard a clearer ride stick. Very very sweet.

What are the ship pictures? Love them

That ride stick is the consequence of the Bos flat ride, which is stick-y as all get out. Love your comments, Kel.

Let's see… oh yeah, the Bremen on the left (bad guys) and the Andrea Doria on the right (more bad guys). I had quite a thing for ocean liners that never translated into cruise ships. There are some largish liner models in the glass case under the lamp visible in the photo taken from behind the kit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:06 pm 

phatsolid wrote:
Gorgeous drum and cymbal sounds. I listened to the Macmate version. Greg... what is that cymbal on your far left with what looks like round depressions in it?

That studio is huge! Where were you able to find such a big space?

Just awesome...

- David

Thanks, mates! You guys are making my day! It has been very rewarding developing a studio space, and gratifying that the sound is working out.

David, that's a Bosphorus Trash Crash. I hit it twice in the file, but just once on purpose, at 3:02. It sounds like a China without the ridge.

I found the space inside Castle Merrick, where Lily and I reside, in the east wing, just across the hall from our living quarters. We may be broke, but boy do we have space! :D

The pictures must have been taken a couple of weeks ago when the weather was still warmish, because the blow-up moose's antlers are still upright. Now that the temperatures have dropped below zero outside (-14F last night), the antlers have swooned from the cold. Temperature maintained in the room is 45º, so it's not a walk in a play situation right now, although it can surely be heated.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:31 am 

Same file, but Cliff asked for more cymbal sounds from the overhead. He also gave me some great suggestions on overhead mic placement that I'll be experimenting with, but for now, this is the same file with more volume and a bit of high end EQ boost on the overhead tracks.

Don't want to bore y'all, but I value your feedback as I go through this process.

http://mgm.macmate.me/public/Project/project.wav

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:47 pm 

Gregory very nice recording, the only complaints from me is a little more high end EQ for the overheads. I suggest turning up the overheads as well.
The download time was way too long IMO. Maybe you get could get a better host site such as Soundclick.
Keep up the great work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:59 pm 

Thanks, Greg. The link on the "S'NOTHING ELSE…" thread involves a changed overhead placement and mix, both of which I think you will like better per your critique.

As to the download: When you click the file, you first get a loading image with the "download" link on it, but DON'T CLICK IT!. Wait for 6- 10 seconds, and the file should be ready to play. At least it's supposed to work that way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:17 pm 

Gregory wrote:
Thanks, Greg. The link on the "S'NOTHING ELSE…" thread involves a changed overhead placement and mix, both of which I think you will like better per your critique.

As to the download: When you click the file, you first get a loading image with the "download" link on it, but DON'T CLICK IT!. Wait for 6- 10 seconds, and the file should be ready to play. At least it's supposed to work that way.

Unfortunately the link doesn't work as per your instruction. I have to use the download feature which is too long for me. I'll check back later.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:22 pm 

stevesmithfan wrote:

Unfortunately the link doesn't work as per your instruction. I have to use the download feature which is too long for me. I'll check back later.

I was changing things in the folder when you posted, so that may have been a problem. Now you should get a player image that is loading as soon as you click the link. If not, please let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:43 pm 

Still nothing as far as Macmate, but Timbersmith works great.