On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please host your audio/video clip in a third party location, and use the [url] function to link to them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:44 pm 

..for nine minutes of yours.

Nothing more; maybe less. :?

Been away for a few weeks, and then catching up on things since we got back.

Had some free time and just felt like playing around in the studio; just a bit of 'roll tape and play'.
;)

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:28 pm 

Awesome,
loved how the motif moved around throughout the whole piece, especially love the tones coming out of the drums and cymbals.
the snare bit at the end is killer!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:31 am 

Thanks, Tim.

I was pretty happy with the drum and cymbal sounds as well.
;)

River City Trio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:17 pm 

Tremendous! Great sounds and playing,

- D.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:27 pm 

Were you thinking "The worms crawl in..."?

Wow! Control, sound, feel, textures, ideas. Only one thing: In my headphones, the 16 sounds slightly thin in comparison to the rest of the kit. I know it does not sound like that (I've been in the room with you when you're playing it).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:33 pm 

Thank you, David.

Appreciate the kind comment.

Greg,

Fo as long as I have been using the 16/C, 14/G, 12/C, 8/G tuning, I have noticed that the 16" is on the border of being 'flabby'. That may have been exacerbated on this set of heads by the fact that I had the 16" tuned as high as Eb a few weeks ago.

The other thing that occurs to me is that my stick bag is hanging from lugs on the 16" (and hence laying against the shell), and this may be doing some damping as well.

My blues/rock 4 piece Designer kit has G Plus' on the 16", which is also tuned to a C. I am going to try recording with that in this kit to see if it offers any improvement.

The other option, in order to maintain the same interval relationship, would be to move everything up a 1/2 step, but I think I have tried that before and found that the 8" sounds choked at Ab :(

I would imagine that I could fix this also by going to an 18" as the last floor tom, but I don't think the problem is severe enough to go that route.

River City Trio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:10 pm 

cliff wrote:

For as long as I have been using the 16/C, 14/G, 12/C, 8/G tuning, I have noticed that the 16" is on the border of being 'flabby'.

I've noticed the same thing. Squeezed my 16 up a notch and it fills out like... well, like a floor tom.

cliff wrote:

The other thing that occurs to me is that my stick bag is hanging from lugs on the 16" (and hence laying against the shell), and this may be doing some damping as well.

Mine hangs there too. It does provide a very mild damping, but nothing like the effect of lower tuning.

cliff wrote:

I would imagine that I could fix this also by going to an 18" as the last floor tom, but I don't think the problem is severe enough to go that route.

I loved owning an 18, and would like one again, except I don't really want to be lugging it around. The 12/16/18 is a very powerful combination in toms.

I am dealing with a different problem: I don't like the 75 tuning on my 12". It sounds great for solo work, but in the music we're playing I need a lower note. Trouble is, a lower note (like 74 top and bottom) opens that drum up to where it overpowers everything, and I am struggling to control it even with finger strokes. I am having mixed success with tuning the reso up about a third, but I'm not fully satisfied. I'm wondering about other head combos, including a more muffled reso.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:44 pm 

nice one Cliff, really tasteful melodic playing!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:07 pm 

Thank you, Nick. Appreciate you and all the guys that took time to listen to this long ramble.

Greg,

Your comment on the 12" made me think of Nick, and the Dejohnette heads. As I recall, a slightly more muted sound. Maybe that, or a coated batter and reso?

River City Trio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:28 pm 

I just crumpled up my old coated G1 a week ago. It sounded great! Got a coated Remo Amb on it now. That couldn't be the problem... could it?

I was thinking about the JDs as well.