On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please host your audio/video clip in a third party location, and use the [url] function to link to them.

Post subject: SQ 2 w/ G1 clears.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:09 pm 

After many years of drumming, I've decided that Evans drumheads are better suited than Remo's for my drumming style.
On this recording (not again! :lol: ) I'd like to know your opinons on the tuning.
Gregory. I finally take your side, in that Evans are a little brighter than Remo.

Bass Drum:
EQ 4 clear batter side
Remo Fiberskin 3 Amb. front

Snare Drum:
G1 coated batter
Genera 300 snare side

Toms:
G1 clears.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9909101

Post subject: Re: SQ 2 w/ G1 clears.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:54 pm 

Great sound, verry Steve. ;) I enjoyed the recording! Those Evans heads sound great. I am more into Aquarian these days, but this sounds good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:56 pm 

I'll give a listen when I can. I'm on the road at the moment with naught but laptop.

Rob, which Aquarian heads, and what are you preferring about them?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:54 am 

I use classic coated on the smaller toms and super2 coated on the floor(s) I find them very easy to tune and they last forever. They also keep their tone much longer compared to the Evans G heads I used. Those lost their "liveliness" pretty quick IMHO. I also experimented with Evans EC1 and 2 heads on a Designer and Lite. Was not my cup of tea. I feel that Evans heads have a sound of their own so all drumsets start to sound alike (pinstripes do the same). I like to hear the sound of my SQ2.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:49 am 

hihat wrote:
I feel that Evans heads have a sound of their own so all drumsets start to sound alike (pinstripes do the same).

I think all heads have a sound of their own. Ambassador's definitely do, they are their 'own' blank canvas, which people elect to be a benchmark, just like pinstripes :shock: :| :? :? :!: :shock: 8-) :lol: .
I didn't find that the G Plus heads go 'Dead' quicker, not at all, quite the opposite actually, I do however think they have their own 'sound', and I like it :o ;)
Each to their own :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:09 pm 

Thanks Rob for your comment about my recording. I tried some of the "Evans Exotic Heads" such as the G Pluses, EC's etc., I didn't like them at all. They had a overly warm thuddy sound. I can only imagine how much I'd hate the 2 ply versions.
The only heads I like from the Evans line so far is the EQ 4, and the G1's. I'm tired of spending money on experiments that ultimately end with me using clear 1 ply heads!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:47 pm 

I fully agree about those exotics. I always play single ply's on the smaller toms. But I always have doubts when I hear recordings or see Benny Greb or Gavin Harrison play. They play emperors and those sounds awesum on their SQ2's. Tried some g2's on the Steve Smith kit and that was no succes. Muddy, no sustain at all. Perhaps these kind of sets need single plies...even coated heads seem to give too much muffling. That is on the SSS with the thicker shells. On the SQ2 with vintage maple shells coated singles sound great.. Advice? I need to order new heads very soon for the SSS.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:31 am 

Here Rob, most of the clips available are played with Remos' version of an Evans G-Plus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_T4YXhnveA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:24 pm 

Are you sure? I spoke to Steve some time ago and back then he only played clear ambs and that is what he plays in that clip. The Remo version of G plus is AmbassadorX and they sound awefull.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:42 pm 

Steve has always played 1 ply heads. An Evans equivilent would be G1's, not G Plus.