On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please host your audio/video clip in a third party location, and use the [url] function to link to them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:32 am 

Finally took the time to turn my son's X-mas present on! ;) Don't know anything about these other than how to point it and turn it on. This one wasn't designed with sound in mind, but it is very convenient and this techno-phobe figured it out pretty quickly.

These are my Signia Walnuts (courtesy of Kelly!) with Pearl free-floating brass piccolo snare (for some David Garibaldi vibe). There are some gratuitous tom fills at the end so you can hear the toms more. Oh well... here goes:

http://youtu.be/7JtsCmHh5xg

- David

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:53 am 

Here's another... playing along to Christina McBride's cd "Emotion" with Lonnie Wilson on drums. The drums on this record sound incredible to me (I think Lonnie plays an older Slingerland USA kit... are you diggin' that Greg?). I had never really played a rock groove with the snare hitting on "2", "3e" and "4", but I've definitely tried to learn how to do that by listening to Lonnie and guys like Matt Chamberlain playing on country records. It's a cool groove.

Again, a lot of over exaggerated tom fills to try to hear the Signias... and newly acquired Yamaha bamboo 6.5x14" snare.

http://youtu.be/oHh7J5m9l6I

- D.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:47 am 

Dave, what are you using, a Zoom?
For one, I love that you are doing this and posting. I'm trying to get reorganized and doing more. Might have a band coming up, would be nice to try and get that to work with a whole band.

Honest opinion, both songs are a great choice for a drum video. I can barely hear you though. I hear more of the soundtrack.
I can sure tell you know what you're doing though.
There are a couple sites for music without drums so you can do your own drum track. Maybe check those.

Really glad you are doing this. The Signia's look frigging great. What heads are you using?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:01 am 

Yeah, I should probably experiment with placement. It's a little Kodak digital video camcorder. I hate playing with headphones... but I do prefer playing along to music. I had the best results listening back to it with headphones, or at least pretty loud, you can hear the drums pretty well then. But I found little laptop or computer speakers to be too thin.

Haven't touched the heads since you shipped 'em to me (Emperors). That 16" is a cannon!

- D.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:08 am 

I have to confess up front that I am not a fan of watching cover vids, so I can't be relied upon to spend much time thinking about or responding to them (SteveSF can attest to that). The device you're using seems to have a noise gate blocking all but the loudest sounds, and then between louds, picking up the gain. Kind of hard to try to make sense of what I'm hearing.

The groove, which I used to call slapback, is cool, a singular type of syncopation. David, do you play jazz or are you a rock guy? Sorry, but I can't remember.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:20 am 

Hey David,

Kelly kinda nailed it. I hear the backing track, but not too much of the drums.

I like seeing/hearing audio/video clips that get posted here; it is a nice way to get to know something about the style and tastes of each player, but personally, I prefer seeing each player’s own ideas on either drums alone, or playing in context with other musicians.

Playing with covers and pre-determined drum parts certainly showcases skill, but there isn’t much room for creativity, and that what pulls me in to listening. I am interested in your ideas more than something someone else has already recorded.

I'd like to hear that kit with ideas of yours coming out. Doesn't need to be a glorious solo; just something with a nice groove and a little structure, that comes from you.
;)

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:37 am 

Gregory wrote:
David, do you play jazz or are you a rock guy? Sorry, but I can't remember.

Well, I do play jazz and I have a jazz gig next weekend. But I'm quite a snob when it comes to jazz, and unless I played jazz for a living or at least taught and played jazz gigs weekly, I would never call myself a "jazz drummer".

- D.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:18 pm 

The drum look phenomenal...

I'm sure they sound excellent, too!!!

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:51 pm 

I listened to it again with headphones this time. Much better. Can hear a lot more of you.
You groove bro.
Really looking forward to you moving ahead with this.
Get the Zoom, they are terrific.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:18 pm 

phatsolid wrote:
Gregory wrote:
David, do you play jazz or are you a rock guy? Sorry, but I can't remember.

Well, I do play jazz and I have a jazz gig next weekend. But I'm quite a snob when it comes to jazz, and unless I played jazz for a living or at least taught and played jazz gigs weekly, I would never call myself a "jazz drummer".

- D.

That would be one way to look at it. Personally, after having been a rock player all my life, little more than the willingness to play a jazz ride pattern with a bit of syncopation would indicate a jazz player of some sort. It's more of an approach thing than an accomplishment thing. You don't need to be one of the heavy, deep, killin' cats to play jazz, any more than you need to be Rubenstein to play classical.

Still, I would not call myself a jazz player because I still don't really understand it, but I am starting to get a glimmer from attempting it.