On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please host your audio/video clip in a third party location, and use the [url] function to link to them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:24 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvAoSZzpzPQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzxBIm1B ... ure=relmfu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:50 pm 

Cool, cuski! Love the new cymbal. If I understand you are using your phone to record this, the video aspect is great. I'll listen to this more later, got to pay attention to my wife! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:59 pm 

Really nice, loose feel, with a lot of nice ideas, Nick. ;)

I need to give both another listen tomorrow in the studio.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:44 am 

Yeah - wonderful videos, both of them... :geek: :geek: :geek:

The DeJohnette ride - is it colored, burned, or something else?!?
You can definitely see a sweet spot on it, where it starts to shine...

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:41 pm 

I love everything about those videos. Great great great.
From the angle, the grooves, drum sound, cymbal sound....all the way through. Fantastic playing.
Those toms sound freaking great.
Those heads look hazy, I didn't know Remo made a hazy head.
Are those 13 hats? And is that tape wrapped around your sticks?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:54 pm 

Thanks so much guys!
Goki the DeJohnette ride is unlathed and unfinished/polished, if those are the correct terms (Cliff will probably be able to give more details - and would be great to see detailed pics of his collection of the range?), the vid was my first play with this ride and the more I play it the more I love it, yeah the cymbal seems to be heavier at that side so it slowly turns until the stick hits that point :D previous owner's fault.
Kelly you're too kind..yeah the drums sound amazing, just basic clear emperors but they get played a lot and still sing. Yes 13" Zildjian A Customs, and the tape is just gaffa tape to prolong the life of stick (rimshots and all that) I wrap a bit round as soon as they start to split (usually after one practice session :( ) they just last a bit longer.
My band Linear Sphere has a new album out next month so there will be some behind the scenes vids from the recording sessions on Lites although they didn't come out as nicely as these picture wise.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:21 pm 

Hey Nick,

Best photos I have of the DeJohnettes are these. They are certainly unlathed and raw, but I am not sure that they are polished. Mine have more of a matte finish than what I can see of your ride. Yours looks like it may have been lightly polished, or may just be showing a patina from previous handling.

The one thing I regret about the original series is that, so far as I know, it did not include not a flat ride. There was one in the Encore Series, but it does not sound like what I hear in my head for the first series. I would love to be wrong and find a original series flat ride, but I think that having the Sabian Custom shop make one might be the answer.

I wish I had known earlier that you were interested in a 22". I turned down the 22" that they guy I bought mine from had; could have sent it your way a couple of years ago. :?

I had another 20" ride as well. It was so similar to the one I kept, that there was no point to having two; that one went to Lane (sonordrug) on his last pass through Austin.

I got a chance to see the videos again, on a better reproduction system, and enjoyed them even more.

River City Trio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:55 am 

Great pics Cliff, I think mine is matt as well, just reflecting a strong light on the ceiling, would they have altered the manufacturing precess?
Thanks for the kind comments btw!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:11 am 

Agree with Kelly... the whole thing is smokin! And other than some slight distortion at highest peaks, that phone takes great audio/video too!

I had one of the original Sabian DeJohnette rides back in the late 80s. Wish I had never sold it. It had a really great, really dry sound.

- D.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:16 am 

percusski wrote:
...would they have altered the manufacturing precess?...

I don't think the process for that series was ever altered, but one never knows. I did read something interesting while digging around a bit yesterday, which was that there were a few post-original series prototypes that were unlathed, but hammered as well. Jack mentions that he has a set of them at his house, and that they sound very interesting. I am guessing that they quickly morphed into Encore series, and none of these transitional prototypes ever saw production.

River City Trio