On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:36 am 

Yesterday, the 30th Skopje JAZZ Festival was opened. :geek: :geek: :geek:

3 great bands (one duo, one quartet and one trio), with Wayne Shorter quartet as "the star of the night"...
Wayne came with John Patitucci on bass and Brian Blade on drums. Finally - Brian Blade, THE drummer I missed 2-3 years ago.
Full of energy, driving the band. Also full of force (in expression). He managed to split the batter head on the Gretsch 18"bd after the first song... :P
The rest of the night - he played a Sonor Signature 18" bd and 12" square tom. ;)

A great night, but somehow, Shorter wasn't in the mood, and the band was on the edge between sounding great and playing nothing... :? Definitely not my style...

The late night concert was the Brazilian trio Corrente, with the unmatchable Edu Ribeiro on drums, and as a band leader.
What can I say - I went talking about Blade, came home talking about Ribeiro. Such ease of playing, great dynamics, all exceptional but never over-the top. I'm not a huge fan of Samba and other Brazilian rhythms like my Marta is, but all I can do is salute to Edu. Definitely the smooth, positive type of drummer, a perfect role model for youngsters...

The story continues tonight - Charles Lloyd, and Miroslav Vitous :geek:

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:36 am 

I'm a big fan of Brian Blade... smokin' player. I think Wayne Shorter is a pretty quirky guy, so his performances can probably vary a great deal. Can you imagine losing your wife and niece in a plane crash? I'm not sure I would be able to get on with life as well as he did.

I will check out Edu R. Thanks Goki!

- D.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:16 am 

Goki... I checked out the 7th video here on their site (the tune Assanhado) where he has the natural finish kit and got a taste for what you saw. He trades and solos a bit at the 4:08 mark. http://triocorrente.com/videos

The thing I still love most about great jazz and latin players, aside from how relaxed they play even with intesity, is how many different sounds they can pull out of a 4 pc kit with 2 cymbals!

- D.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:36 am 

Goki wrote:
He managed to split the batter head on the Gretsch 18"bd after the first song... :P
The rest of the night - he played a Sonor Signature 18" bd and 12" square tom. ;)

The club kit you once mentioned? Surely he wasn't traveling with it! I still don't understand how jazz guys break kick heads. Never broke one playing rock. Kelly would suggest it's trying to compensate for the tiny bass. :roll: :lol:

Glad to hear you had a great time, Goki. It really is fun and inspiring to watch a great and relaxed drummer. Have fun tonight!