On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:36 pm 

It has been pretty busy for me of late, between high activity in my job and preparing to debut the River City Trio.

Spent a lot of time (and money) lately putting together a top quality sound system (both FOH and wireless in-ear monitors). We are targeting private markets (as opposed to clubs), and need to supply our own sound system for the majority of the venues we are likely to end up in.

Rented a 3,000 sq ft rehearsal space for this weekend, and this weekend is dedicated to:

• Friday evening – assembly, mark power and XLR cables, mixer set-up, wireless transmitter and receiver synch, general sound system shakedown, sorting set-up, tear down, packing and transport logistics.
• Saturday – full catalog runthrough, track running time of each tune, work out opening ‘intro’ tune, set ending theme, end of night tune, introductions, etc. Arrange well-paced sets with the data gathered.
• Sunday – full beginning to end dress rehearsal / lunch and review recording & video / second runthrough / tear down, pack up.

Debut two hour showcase set for the following Saturday 8/21, at a local outdoor venue, with food and beverage service, several local booking agents and venue owners/booking managers invited, along with everyone we know in the area.

Teri has been working night and day to build and maintain the website, coordinate logo and graphic development, and develop booking leads.

Hoping to launch this thing with a bit of fanfare. Next two weeks will be busy.

After that, Teri and I have booked a riverfront cabin in the woods in September, will be sleeping later in the morning, and will have Charlie towing us around the river on tubes in the afternoon.
;)

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:40 pm 

Great progress, Cliff. Bon Voyage! I see the logo in your new avatar. Final form?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:07 pm 

Gregory wrote:
Great progress, Cliff. Bon Voyage! I see the logo in your new avatar. Final form?

Thanks, Greg.

I think the logo is final, at least for now.

River City Trio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:56 am 

Busy weekend.
Looks like you guys are very well planned, and set to GO ;) .

Congrats Cliff, sounds like it will be huge...........In a good way :? :lol:

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:16 am 

WOW!!!

Cliff - this is GREAT news... May luck, fun and great deals follow you from now on...

The trio is about to "set sale"... ;)

Congratulations!!!

P.S. Some photos of the event would be nice to see... :)

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:02 pm 

good luck cliff, hope the weekend is going well.
I'm psyched you guys are going for a niche market, they seem to pay off pretty well. Are you guys shooting video at the big gig?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:51 am 

Train wreck!

Two of us spend all of Friday evening setting up, sorting out and labelling the sound and monitor system, and went home wth everything ready to go for Saturday.

Saturday morning, everyone but the piano player shows up on time, and a half hour after scheduled start, we call him to see what's up - no answer.

Half an hour after that, I get an email from him that he is quitting. He is under tremendous pressure from the girl that is paying his bills. The hip-hop band he has also joined recently is playing that night, and he need to 'save his energy'.

Here's the ironic part. The hip-hop band has been around for a while, and the gig they are doing is a one hour set in a club that is known for not paying a dime - but they provide a tip jar. Their schedule looks like little more then these kind of venues. For this, he walks out on a professionally organized and equipped organization, ready to debut in front of well connected booking agents in the market we are aiming for, and stiffs everybody.

Money and time wasted on renting and setting up the rehearsal weekend, hundreds of invitations to retract for a cancelled show, and a certain degree of credibility damage to repair.

The other three of us have had concerns about this guy's commitment level for a little while, and had spoken candidly with him as recently as a week ago, only to be assured that he was fully in the boat.

Better to know about the character of people as soon as possible, I guess, even if it is a little too late.
:cry:

River City Trio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:18 am 

:o :o :o

I can't believe what I'm reading Cliff...
Look on the bright side though - You and the bass player sound great, so I'm sure that you'll be able to find a replacement...

I wish I was able to make a phonecall to friend who know friends that can "deal" with this type of stupid assh..es... :twisted:

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:18 am 

Ouch!

It is an inverted world we live in. The guy has just ruined all his credibility with you and with anyone you may care to know, willy-nilly. No apparent regard for his reputation; I guess that may have begun long ago, maybe even before he slunk into the position of having the woman pay his bills. She's putting him under tremendous pressure? Awwww.

The worm.

Anyway, I'm sorry Cliff. I know the feeling of all the air leaving the bag for incomprehensible reasons. But there is a reason, so breathe deeply and take it easy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:28 pm 

Gregory wrote:
...I guess that may have begun long ago, maybe even before he slunk into the position of having the woman pay his bills. She's putting him under tremendous pressure? Awwww...

I thought it was a bit odd that he initially introduced himself by one name, but with a different 'stage name', and when Teri got the website up, he changed to a third moniker.

I now suspect that he may just have been covering his trail, while becoming a 'new person' that he could live with for a while.

River City Trio