On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:20 am 

Fantastic - 86 and playing?
80 and playing like this?!? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YegtSP_O ... re=related

I hope I don't forget where I've put my stick bag (or drums even) at that age, let alone play a solo... :oops:

Roy Haynes is a MASTER!!!

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:49 am 

cliff wrote:
Man, seeing that clip refreshes my regret at not having bought a 20" K ride back in 1994 when I bought a set of K's that I still have (10" splash, 16" medium crash, 18" medium thin crash, 20" ride, 14" hats). A flat ride was not even in my thinking at the time. :(

This clip was from 1996, only a couple of years after I bought mine, but I'll bet I would have liked an 18" or a 20" from this same era, like the one Roy Haynes is using here. Zildjian offers one now, but K's are different now than they were then.

I tried both a 20"K flat and a 20" K Constantinople flat back in November 2010 (on my way to Kelly's), and neither one really wanted to go home with me. Don't know if I was just spoiled by the Diril I had just gotten before hitting the road.

Goki has an 18" K Custom flat that I bought in 2001, and sometimes still miss, but I'm glad that he has it. ;)

I bought a 20" K Custom ride around 1989 and it's still my primary jazz ride. I've accumulated some flat rides along the way... decided to keep a Istanbul "Danny Gottlieb" model I found on ebay.

Cliff -- if you're in the market for another flat and like that nice "light sizzle" sound of a shimmery flat ride that's not too dark or "pangy" I think the new 20" Zildjian K Light Flats are great. And them seemed pretty consisent from cymbal to cymbal from what I tried in the store. BTW, if you wanted to try one for fun, I'd be happy to ship you mine if you wanted to give it a ride. I'm probably gonna look to move it at some point... just ship it back if it doesn't float your boat.

- David

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:24 am 

phatsolid wrote:
...Cliff -- if you're in the market for another flat and like that nice "light sizzle" sound of a shimmery flat ride that's not too dark or "pangy" I think the new 20" Zildjian K Light Flats are great. And them seemed pretty consisent from cymbal to cymbal from what I tried in the store. BTW, if you wanted to try one for fun, I'd be happy to ship you mine if you wanted to give it a ride. I'm probably gonna look to move it at some point... just ship it back if it doesn't float your boat.

David,

Thank you very much for the offer, but not too long ago, I ended up buying an Ibrahim Diril 20" Jazz Series ride to go with the K set, and it fits with them very well.

I like the wider lathing groove pattern of the 94 K's I have, and I think that K's today have a tighter pattern. Is that true of the K Light Flat that you have?

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:08 pm 

This K Light Flat is half-way down the page on my FS ad on this Forum. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=419

It's certainly a pretty "polite" cymbal so the lathing is very even, but I like flat rides that have that shimmery wash that makes anything over the top of them sound really supported. Like a drummer's version of the fat sustain of an organ, but without taking up too much space in the mid-frequencies.

Never heard a Diril before, but there are so many emerging great cymbalsmiths these days!

Post subject: The Peart offering...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:38 pm 

The Peart offering...

...three truckloads of equipment, and very little to say with it, to me anyway.

A carnival ride posing as music.
:?

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:27 pm 

cliff wrote:

...three truckloads of equipment, and very little to say with it, to me anyway.

A carnival ride posing as music.
:?

The guys face says it all. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:17 am 

The equipment is visually cool - not for me personally, but I'm sure it would be for the majority of the people out there...

But, both drums and cymbals sound - well, poor... :( Listen to the toms and the ride cymbal on the last part, and You'll be very disappointed...

I know I am...

Let the good drums roll!!!