On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:17 pm 

Could not have been a much better evening, all around.

Went to dinner and then the show(s) with my nephew and good friend, and we arrived before the beginning of the first show, with tickets for the second show. Fortunately, there was room for a few more at the first show, and we got in to the bar area for the first show.

For the second show, we had the very same seats that we had a couple of years ago when DeJohnette was there supporting Music We Are. I could reach out and touch the kick drum head, which turned out to be useful when the kick mic suddenly disconnected from its cable, dropped to the floor and rolled towards me.

About half of the second show was different from the first, and the band included a percussionist (Luisito Quintero), with whom Jack did a lot of call response stuff that was not only inspired, but at times outright humorous.

Bass player (Jerome Harris), and sax player (Tim Ries) were standouts, and the rest of the band was top notch as well.

I hope I have the energy level that Jack showed through two sets when I am 70 year old.

At the end of the night, I had the chance to shake Jack’s hand and say thanks for a great show. It was well worth the quick trip to NY.
;)

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:12 am 

Fantastic, Cliff! What more can I say? You are the one who had the great experience, but I am delighted for you, if not a teeny bit jealous.

What was with the microphone? I didn't know that they could disconnect like that. Was the guy there, who owns the gaffer tape ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:49 am 

Gregory wrote:
...What was with the microphone? I didn't know that they could disconnect like that. Was the guy there, who owns the gaffer tape ?

D112. Problem was that the cable end was what the sound guy had slid into the mic stand clip (instead of the shaft of the mic), leaving the clip that usually locks the cable in a depressed position. Enough vibration and the mic just fell off.

I was close enough to pull the cable out of the clip, snap it back into the mic, slide the mic into the clip.

River City Trio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:58 am 

Ahhh - these events are priceless!!!

I must say I envy You Cliff!!! I'm sure the night was "one to remember"!!!

:geek: :geek: :geek:

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:34 am 

cliff wrote:
Gregory wrote:
...What was with the microphone? I didn't know that they could disconnect like that. Was the guy there, who owns the gaffer tape ?

D112. Problem was that the cable end was what the sound guy had slid into the mic stand clip (instead of the shaft of the mic), leaving the clip that usually locks the cable in a depressed position. Enough vibration and the mic just fell off.

I was close enough to pull the cable out of the clip, snap it back into the mic, slide the mic into the clip.

And DeJohnette didn't miss a beat?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:43 am 

cliff wrote:

Did have to join the union to get paid? :lol: :lol:

When I was out in AZ years ago, they were shooting a movie. One of the local guys, an extra, accidentally said something in his scene. Director liked it and kept it in. The extra had to join SAG and got paid way more than an extra for the day....

Glad the trip was worth it. Guys like that are few and far between. It's good to get to see them when you have the chance as there be a time when it's not possible....

Good thing you didn't have to adjust the pyro.. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 am 

Gregory wrote:
cliff wrote:
Gregory wrote:

And DeJohnette didn't miss a beat?

Non-issue. I am sure he heard it drop out of his mix (in-ear), but it was probably 10-15 seconds from falling off to back in place.

River City Trio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:46 am 

latzanimal wrote:
...Good thing you didn't have to adjust the pyro.. :lol: :lol:

Pyro I would leave for the union guy(s). ;) :lol:
latzanimal wrote:
..Guys like that are few and far between. It's good to get to see them when you have the chance as there be a time when it's not possible...

That's how I look at it as well.

I have appreciated DeJohnette's playing and composition for years, but never had the chance to see him until they supported the Music We Are release a couple of years ago. None of us are going to last forever, so there was no point in missing an opportunity, and it was the first show of this calibre that my nephew had ever been to.

...so when this chance to see JD again came up, with a whole different band and set... ;)

River City Trio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:17 pm 

Great thread Cliff.
Happy to see you survived NYC and had a blast doing it.

Ha, I know someone who once had to plug JD's mic back in! Woot
And under 15 seconds.
God life is good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:06 pm 

I saw DeJohnette play as part of a clinic at Berklee about 20 years ago. He sat down at the kit, was silent for a moment, then began a 45-minute non-stop thematic masterpiece of a solo that only he can do. I mean, it's one thing to be able to play for 45 minutes alone and not bore yourself to tears with your old licks. It's another to keep a huge crowd of very good drummers on the edge of their seats the whole time.

His whole concept is just so great to me. His sound, his approach, his phrasing, his fearlessness!! :shock:

It's been awhile since I saw someone of his caliber... I'm jonesing!

- D.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next