On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:57 am 

Goki wrote:
Great setup Dave...
The idea of using a rack is very smart. You certainly got rid of all unwanted hardware bases...

Tell me - how do You like the Oriental hihats?!? I must admit, You're the first one I know to use them as regular hats in a setup. :geek:

Thanks Goki. The rack is three fold. One to save on space, although I'd only have 3 cymbal stands and a tom stand (couple of multi clamps and 2 cymbals mounted in the tom holders on the kicks. Second, and probably more important, is the built in riser. I hate sitting on the floor. This allows me to be eye level with the rest of the band. Third, it keeps things in place. Nothing to trip over or stumble into. Alright, I'm lyin', it just looks cool... ;)

I love the Oriental hats. Kind of a poor man's K/Z combo. I say "poor man's" because I bought them at a huge discount. Wherever I bought them were trying to clear stock so it was over 50% off way back when. They are nice and meaty with plenty of chick. I have used the top with a Z bottom with very similar results. I just happened to pull the New Beat out first. I have some audio, but I'll have to find a spot that's not too embarrassing to post.

This kit was literally thrown together a week before the first time I played with these guys. I dug out whatever cymbal holders and clamps I wasn't using, then slapped them all on the rack. I had the DTX brain with my electronic kit for practicing, so I programmed a few of the percussion/fx sounds on it instead the DMPro in the rack behind me that also has my amp. If this were to continue, I would program the DMPro and make a snake for the elec pads so I would only have one multi cable to run.