On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:56 am 

Was reading through this section and saw my other post on a new band was unfinished. Sometimes I forget that I talk to Cliff, Greg and Ron a lot outside of here so I don't update.

That band died. Unfortunate, I did like them. Without going into too much detail I would say the most prominent factor would be that they were pretty content on staying in small local places just to play and have fun. They were content with that where as I shoot a bit higher. Get noticed, get a following, make some money.

So...auditioned for another band and I'm now with them. Super excited about this one. Very talented band that won the battle of the bands on a radio station. They are tired of the "Original" scene where it is a lot of work, the crowd is not with you and there is no money it. They have converted to covers to get busy and make some money. I'm in. I got picked over several others who auditioned. A much needed boost for me. Answered a lot of doubt I was carrying.
These guys know the scene around here very well and are well connected: Where to go, what to play at a particular place, and who pays what.

On top of this. I got contacted just when this band came up by another band needing a drummer. Told them I was already committed to trying out for this new band but they kept in touch asking how it went. Really like the guy I have been talking with so we are going to go ahead and get together.

So, Saturday, we are auditioning a guitar player for the new band and Sunday I will be with this newest band. We are all in agreement it's about exceptional music but the bottom line is...making money.

Actually I ended up getting the two bands together communicating about the possibility of combining forces. They have decided no. All the ingredients were there except there were two lead singers. One of the singers has decided no. Understandable I think.

So....I'll try and stay updated.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:04 pm 

Enough irons in the fire for something to work out.

Happy to hear it all, Kelly.
;)

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:45 pm 

Great news Kelly - keep it up!!!

I know a lot of people who say "cover bands" are boring, but actually it brings out the innovative spirit!!!
The "original" material demands a lot of effort and a lot of time. Eventually, a large sum of money... :S

PLAYING is what's important...

I would LOVE to see pictures/clips when available... :)

GREAT NEWS!!! :D :D :D

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:41 pm 

Yeah I am really expecting to do a lot with this band. They are just as excited as I am. Expecting some video's and things to come out of it Goki.

Thanks cliff!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:52 pm 

Sounds great Kelly, i am happy for you still attacking the audition process with such determination. Glad it seems to be working out in a direction you are excited about and can't wait to hear some results.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:39 pm 

Thank you Tim. It's going to be a busy weekend musically.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:12 pm 

Congrats, Kel. Hoping it all goes well. Break a leg.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:45 pm 

Thanks Greg.
Busy day. Got a message this morning from both you and Cliff. These guys were in at 12 and I had to get ready.
The guy we audioned, guitar/backing vocals is what we are seeking, had a world class voice. Seriously did. Should not be singing back up. He was weak in the guitar area though.
So we are being patient. Another audition Tuesday night and another one next weekend. Then I guess we will decide.
Really loving this band. This is probably the best bass player I have played with as far back as I can remember anyway.

Back at it tomorrow. I don't know anything about these guys but we hit it off on the phone so I invited them over.
Don't really want to be in two bands, especially since we are planning on busting our butts in the other band, but...giving them a shot. Even if it's just to keep them going until they find someone.