On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pick-up gigs...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:28 am 

Last night I played another pick-up gig, and while I had some fun with it, it was a reminder of all the weirdness that is out there.

To begin with, I listened to some recorded material and looked at the set list and the instrumentation on the bandleader’s website before I was considering the gig, and I asked specifically about the load-in access, shading, etc., since it was to be an outdoor gig. “No worries”, says he. It was to be thoroughly covered, but well ventilated, with adequate backline power for fan, sound system inputs and outputs required are available, etc.

After committing to it, I find out that there will be no bass player, due to budget, and I offer to do it for only gas money and meals for Teri and I if it helps fund a bass player, and he gets one. I am already committed, but hate playing this kind of gig with keys guitar and drums – no bass.

We show up at 5pm for a 6pm start, and it is a traverse over 150 feet of bumpy (with fire ant mounds) grass surface, to a concrete patio, with the band setting up to face east. There is a 15x15 kiosk type tent top set up so that that frontline is in the shade, and the backline will not be, until the sun goes down. I looked at the set–up and said that if we could rearrange things so that I was in the shade from now until 8:30, and with help to lug equipment over the minefield, I would start setting up.

They move the tent and help with the cartage. After having confirmed in advance what was going to be available for sound system channels, I set up for kick/snare/overheads and start handing him cables, one at a time, identifying each. I get as far as kick and snare, and he tells me that the keyboard player unexpectedly brought an accordion, and that he forgot that the keyboard goes stereo in to the system, and, “do we really need overheads?”

I assure him that we do, but that I can go with just kick and overheads, and drop the snare mic.

5:40 pm and agenda is soundcheck / dinner / set / break / set. Keyboard player’s toys are broken, and agenda shifts to extended soundcheck and repair / set / dinner break / set.

After soundcheck, and the leader casually mentions that, his buddy at the country club and a couple of his friends are, “…going to use our drums and sound system to play a few tunes during the break.” I explain that I did not bring ‘our drums’. End of that theory.

Out of food at the buffet table by the first break; partially re-provisioned with 10 minutes left to the break.

BBQ on styro plates, and back for set two. Band leader does not realize that count-in serves to (i) coordinate the start, and, (ii) to set the tempo, and is satisfied with achieving the former with count-in, the latter via acceleration.

Set two over. Bass player and keyboard player engage in a vigorous version of the ‘name game’. “Say, do you know (insert name)?”. Of course not, but now I can tell you who I know…

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

Post subject: Re: Pick-up gigs...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:47 am 

cliff wrote:

After soundcheck, and the leader casually mentions that, his buddy at the country club and a couple of his friends are, “…going to use our drums and sound system to play a few tunes during the break.” I explain that I did not bring ‘our drums’. End of that theory.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Didn't bring "our drums." That's great.

"Suck it up!"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:54 pm 

Ah, Cliff...

What a fiasco! haha Entertaining story though!

I love it when people look at you downheartedly when you declare, "The Sonor kit's not for public use." I liken it to someone driving up in their '67 Shelby Mustang GT 500 and me saying, "Cool car, throw me those keys and let me take 'er for a spin. By the way, my name's Justin...nice to meet you." :lol:

Designer Maple Light (Bubinga) 8,10,12,14,16, 22 kick
Force Custom (Bee-Bop Jazz) 12,14, 18 kick
Remo Roto Tom (Chrome) 14, 16
Snare HLD 588 Signature

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:08 pm 

Justin wrote:
Ah, Cliff...

What a fiasco! haha Entertaining story though!

I love it when people look at you downheartedly when you declare, "The Sonor kit's not for public use." I liken it to someone driving up in their '67 Shelby Mustang GT 500 and me saying, "Cool car, throw me those keys and let me take 'er for a spin. By the way, my name's Justin...nice to meet you." :lol:

Spot on, Justin...

...and guaranteed that you will need at least a set of tires or a set of heads befor it is over.
:? :lol:

River City Trio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:02 am 

Scary story Cliff,

I probably overreacted when I read it but it triggered so many awful memories of days gone by. I have gotten to the point where I won't take anymore gigs with too many variables. Outdoor gigs can be the worst unless you personally know the sound outfit. I may make some overcautious decisions, but I can live with not knowing how wonderful the gig could have been as opposed to kicking myself for not trusting my gut., and making a bad decision. Even asking all the right questions is no guarantee. I'm glad you held your ground about "our drums".

As long as musicians remain under-appreciated and any hobbyist can buy great gear and hire back-ups, then these kind of situations will persist. If I had a dollar for every gig or band for that matter that I waltzed into, seemingly with my eyes opened, only to regret later... :roll:

Thanks for sharing Cliff. Now can I send you the bill for my therapist now that all of this angst has resurfaced? 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:50 am 

This certainly was an experience "going in the wrong direction"...

I'm glad You got out of it with scratches only, Cliff...

This reminds me of the time I was asked to rent my TAMA set, for a festival. I was told that it would be specifically played by one band. Hence, I named my price.
The day when they needed the drums, they told me that 6 out of 7 bands will play on that set. Next thing I know - they were searching for a replacement...

And I always stick to my way of thinking: IF there's a Festival with ugly drums, I can bring my own set. BUT that set goes off the stage as soon as I get off...

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:41 am 

RolandG wrote:

As long as musicians remain under-appreciated and any hobbyist can buy great gear and hire back-ups, then these kind of situations will persist.

I want to agree with this, but it seems to me that musicians are appreciated, all right. Nobody appreciates a musician more than he does himself. As I read the litany, there were no problems created by anyone but by folks who played... or who thought they were gonna. It is a fact that the caterers did not produce food at the precise time it was needed by hungry musicians, but then caterers aren't really beholden to the internal workings of a band struggling at the business end of the extension cord.

In any case, the gig was well ventilated as promised. And no doubt the accordion added to the breeze.

My guess is that a person hiring a band has no real idea what he's getting into, or what is required of him beyond a big electrical plug at the end of a long length of wire. He imagines a vaguely dangerous group of characters who take his money and go home with all the available women, and he hopes his wife is not among them. That is probably his principle concern. Nagging at the back of his mind is how to keep the band members away from the booze, or at least away from enough of it that they don't tear up the furniture afterward. He has heard the stories.

No, the problem here was not the buyer; as far as I can tell he provided the tent, the platform and the source of electricity. There was something wrong with the seller, who seems to have crossed everyone's palm with undeliverable promises. A few characters make serial careers built on the pretense of being able to deliver. Eventually people who actually can and do deliver learn to avoid being sucked in, but as long as he moves around he can continue to promote himself as "that guy." I would like to have been a fly on the wall, to hear him explain to his buddy and his buddy's club cozies, why they didn't get to express themselves on Cliff's drums. You can be sure that all the available women knew who was "gonna play tonight." "Richard? Really? And Ted?" A certain giggle and frisson greet that expectation, a heightened emanation of perfume and jangle of jewelry. What a let down! :cry: Cliff, you ol' bastid!

MIght be something to the hobbyist angle. But musicians, it seems to me, do in large part bring this upon ourselves.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:47 am 

RolandG wrote:
Scary story Cliff,

I probably overreacted when I read it but it triggered so many awful memories of days gone by. I have gotten to the point where I won't take anymore gigs with too many variables. Outdoor gigs can be the worst unless you personally know the sound outfit. I may make some overcautious decisions, but I can live with not knowing how wonderful the gig could have been as opposed to kicking myself for not trusting my gut., and making a bad decision. Even asking all the right questions is no guarantee. I'm glad you held your ground about "our drums".

As long as musicians remain under-appreciated and any hobbyist can buy great gear and hire back-ups, then these kind of situations will persist. If I had a dollar for every gig or band for that matter that I waltzed into, seemingly with my eyes opened, only to regret later... :roll:

Thanks for sharing Cliff. Now can I send you the bill for my therapist now that all of this angst has resurfaced? 8-)

Sorry for the trauma induced by proxy, Roland. I can't pick up the tab, but if you want to lie down on the couch and talk, that'll work. ;)

All in, I did not have a bad time, largely because I have learned over time (i) to just say 'no' to additional, unreasonable requests, (ii) to firmly but politely insist upon delivery of what was committed, (iii) to hold up my end, even if I failed to ask for information up front that would have changed my decision, and, (iv) have no expectations about the food.
:? :lol:

River City Trio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:32 pm 

[quote="Gregory"]

In any case, the gig was well ventilated as promised. And no doubt the accordion added to the breeze.

I would like to have been a fly on the wall, to hear him explain to his buddy and his buddy's club cozies, why they didn't get to express themselves on Cliff's drums. You can be sure that all the available women knew who was "gonna play tonight." "Richard? Really? And Ted?" A certain giggle and frisson greet that expectation, a heightened emanation of perfume and jangle of jewelry. What a let down! :cry: Cliff, you ol' bastid!

[quote="cliff"]
[color=#800000]Sorry for the trauma induced by proxy, Roland. I can't pick up the tab, but if you want to lie down on the couch and talk, that'll work. ;)

Yoooz Guyzzz are a riot!!! :lol:

Roland

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:22 pm 

RolandG wrote:
Yoooz Guyzzz are a riot!!! :lol:

Roland

:D