On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:55 pm 

tim wrote:
I used to love the hanging floor, but now I just want to move the drum independently of a stand, its much more convenient.
How many times have you played outdoor gigs and had half your kit fall over in a strong wind because you had a stand with a floor, ride and crash on it.(raises hand many times)
For recording I believe the suspended floor is better, you get a nice tone that translates on tape. But playing live through a PA the only person who cares about the floor tom resonance is you.

Once everything is close miked and shunted throught a PA, it probably matters little. Intimate gigs are a different story. Now that I think of it, I've probably played very few venues of sufficient size to really require close miking - were it not for the fact that my drums were not projecting and/or everyone was playing too loudly.

As to stability, I can't imagine being able to tip my 'floors' over. I have tried from all angles, and it would require a lot more than a strong wind. When I was using a Signature stand, the whole thing was quite precarious, but the pivot leg system allows one foot to be in line with and beyond the center of gravity of each tom, with the remaining leg 180º opposite a line bisecting the angle created by the other two, and it is surprisingly stable. In fact, I would be far more concerned about the Classix in a breeze. Probably bring an anchor for em.