On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:04 am 

So what kind of snares are best for the HLD Signature Series Snare Drums?

My HLD 588 has a notch at each end of the strainer for specific signature snares like these:

http://store.daddario.com/category/1443 ... rency_id=1

...But 22 strands is just too many for my liking. Can the Sig Series Snare Drums be equipped with anything different?

Designer Maple Light (Bubinga) 8,10,12,14,16, 22 kick
Force Custom (Bee-Bop Jazz) 12,14, 18 kick
Remo Roto Tom (Chrome) 14, 16
Snare HLD 588 Signature

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:29 am 

Justin wrote:
So what kind of snares are best for the HLD Signature Series Snare Drums?...

...But 22 strands is just too many for my liking. Can the Sig Series Snare Drums be equipped with anything different?

Other than the OEM 22 or 24 strand wires, I don't know of anyone but Puresound making wires for Signatures.

Greg and Kelly have both reported some success (with other drums) with removing some of the center wires, effectively replicating the Puresound Equalizers.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:41 am 

cliff wrote:
Justin wrote:
So what kind of snares are best for the HLD Signature Series Snare Drums?...

Other than the OEM 22 or 24 strand wires, I don't know of anyone but Puresound making wires for Signatures.

Greg and Kelly have both reported some success (with other drums) with removing some of the center wires, effectively replicating the Puresound Equalizers.

Can also remove the outer wires if reducing the number is what you have in mind. New Sig wires are available from St Drums, and if you are to cut your old set, I would be inclined [for you] to invest in a new set for future purposes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:21 pm 

Cliff, did you arrive at any conclusions? Don't think I ever heard.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:59 am 

After the initial opinion that the no-name aftermarket 20 strand steel wires on the drum when it arrived were too brittle for the drum, the first thing I tried was a 20 strand set of puresound steel wires I had in house. Marginally, but not adequately more pleasing, as I recall.

Along the way, I also recall discovering, by comparing ‘snares-off', that the soft maple Hilite was not representative of anything else I have, so it was not a good test mule for anything but itself.

Next was a set of Sonor SW 1424 MS 06 (24 strand brass wires). The softer wires seems a much better match for the softer shell, and with these, the drum is great for a fat, soft, wet sound.

I stopped there because, (i) testing with this drum was not relevant to anything else I have, and, (ii) this set-up made the drum a discrete sound and feel that I wanted to keep. The drum has a frosted Evans G Plus batter and an Evans 300 snares side.

I am, however, going to try the Earthtone calfskin batter on this drum and see if that take this drum even further in the soft, wet, warm direction.

p.s. I did try the Earthtone calfskin batter on an 8” Designer, and for me, it did not work. More on that later in the related string.

River City Trio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:35 pm 

Thanks, Cliff. The reason I was asking is this:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=390&p=12913#p12913

Since it works at all - and not too darn shabbily - I am now thinking how to fine tune it. Given that it needs custom size heads, I'm not likely to make a lot of experimental head changes, although a coated item for brushes seems necessary if I'm gonna keep it.

Still working with tuning, too, but so far it's a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:56 am 

I thought that might have been the impetus of the question after you mentioned reviving this project when we talked.

The Earthtone calfskin head has been fitted to the Hilite snare, and I spent some time playing it yesterday. To my taste, the brass wires and the calf head work together very nicely.

I see now that they are also available as 18 strand, slightly thinner wires (SW 1418 MS 05), which may suit you better.

If you can, try a set.

River City Trio