On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:38 am 

Nice to be on a DD thread that doesn't degenerate into DD bashing by those who have no positive business posting on it.
I love my drum dial, it's not a necessary thing sometimes, but it really is handy for saving time, especially on a backline kit that needs attention or a drum with round/true issues.

I love it when toms are tuned in the 4ths/5ths/octaves so hitting two of 'em results in thick, sonorous intervals!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:54 pm 

bigtone23 wrote:
Nice to be on a DD thread that doesn't degenerate into DD bashing by those who have no positive business posting on it.
I love my drum dial, it's not a necessary thing sometimes, but it really is handy for saving time, especially on a backline kit that needs attention or a drum with round/true issues.

I love it when toms are tuned in the 4ths/5ths/octaves so hitting two of 'em results in thick, sonorous intervals!

Wholeheartedly agree with both points. ;)

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:11 pm 

An open mind recognizes its inherent limitations, and is willing to look beyond itself, being interested in truth. :)

A closed mind may recognize those limitations, but does not welcome outside possibilities; it has strength as long as it recognizes its potential weakness. Like a Drumdial, for instance. :D

A closed mind posing as open is dangerous. It is all about self-image, uninterested in truth except its own. That sort of mind is like..., well, like a broken Drumdial. :? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:28 pm 

I can't believe you guys use those pieces of crap :lol:

just bringing back the old days, I am just jealous because I don't have one and my hearing is getting worse, making tuning a little challenging sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:14 pm 

Loved it Tim, loved it loved it loved it. Caught me off guard. Still lmao.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:02 am 

Well, I have made it this far in my life without 1, but scored a tama dial cheap a month ago and I still tune a I would then break out the dial and see how constant I am. And I must say I am pretty close usually within 10% +/- surface tension wise. All I can stay is work on the ear and use the dail to touch it, it s not worth breaking out the strobe tuner.

I will say their are alot of drum tech's who have no clue and do exacltly as their OCD drummer tells them, and with trucks loading and unloading, fork lifts or fork trucks for are UK/EU folks, PA's being tested, guitar techs making your ears bleed, any bit of help is help.

not knowing how to use a tool is just as ignorat as not having them.

Besides poorly tuned or tensioned drums are another cause for false triggering if your a E-Drummer as well, but thats a whole other topic in its own.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:10 am 

trussmonkey wrote:
Well, I have made it this far in my life without 1, but scored a tama dial cheap a month ago and I still tune a I would then break out the dial and see how constant I am. And I must say I am pretty close usually within 10% +/- surface tension wise. All I can stay is work on the ear and use the dail to touch it, it s not worth breaking out the strobe tuner.

From what I can understand, you've been using the dial to check your own tuning? Interesting approach, and every now and then, if I've been making by-ear adjustments on my drums, I use the dial to clean up around the edges.

But in general, the tool works best for me as a marker, to quickly tune to a known tension, and then use the ear to correct any discrepancies. The biggest hurdle to discussing the merits of the DD is understanding what different people mean by "tuning," and I suspect that's where most of the hot air originates. :? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:56 pm 

Agreed to clean up around the edges, That's how I use it. I go by ear, run the dial around get a rough, choose an average and go. Then the whole head has the same tension around the horn and the head moves as 1 right.