On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drum Dials (again)....
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:05 pm 

I know that there is a mixed consensus on the usefulness of Drum Dials, but I had an opportunity to do an unintended test a few days ago.

I was changing heads on two drums while Teri and I were watching something interesting on television, and I wanted to avoid making noise.

After installing and seating the heads, backing off the tension to below ‘tuned’ level, the heads on both drums were brought up to the previously determined target, and the drums were left overnight, with intent to fine tune the next day.

The next day, I picked the drums up one at a time and tapped dead center, and then around a concentric circle with a mallet, over an electronic tuner. Both heads on both drums were tuned perfectly evenly, and both drums were spot on the intended pitch, to the cent!

Once you have determined what you want to do with a particular shell and head combination, and if the heads are manufactured consistently, Drum Dials are tremendously useful in reproducing a particular tuning easily.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:07 pm 

As you know, I am attached to mine. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:59 am 

Well - I've started saving for one... :)

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:22 am 

Thanks for that Cliff!

Always interesting to hear stuff like that. I've only ever really used mine to get a rough tuning to start from. I'd be really interested to hear what kinda numbers on the dial you are tuning to for the different drums you are using. I was always tuning my toms too high until I got my drumdial but since having it I've got them singing a lot quicker!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:36 am 

I've used DrumDials, and I agree that they certainly are a useful tool. I believe that every Sound Engineer (Studio) should possess one.
I probably would use one if I had one, but it took me 20yrs to fork out for a Metronome :o , which was 25yrs too late :? :oops: :lol: .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:54 am 

SonoRon wrote:
...I'd be really interested to hear what kinda numbers on the dial you are tuning to for the different drums you are using. I was always tuning my toms too high until I got my drumdial but since having it I've got them singing a lot quicker!

Hey Ron,

Below is an excerpt from a post I had put on the Sonormuseum a while back that describes the tuning process I use, and the DD readings that result with my Designers:

“What I can tell you off the top of my head is that I use four toms and they are tuned as follows:

• 16x16 – tuned to C – 70.5 reading top and bottom
• 14x14 – tuned to G – 74 reading top and bottom
• 12x10 – tuned to C – 75 reading top and bottom
• 8x8 – tuned to G – 74 reading top and bottom

Since I am using same batter and reso on both, here is how I approached tuning them.

1. Remove both heads.
2. Install, seat and back off the batter head.
3. Using just the batter head, find the tuning range of the drum, from lowest (first resonates) to highest (begins to choke). Make a note of the range (both pitch and DD readings)
4. Repeat for all toms.
5. Find a logical set of intervals for the drums, preferably within a major scale. I deliberately use only four drums and two pitches, so that relationship of any drum to any other drum is that of a fourth, fifth or octave (the fourth being an inversion of a fifth; e.g. c-g / g-c)
6. Once you have chosen the interval pattern that to use, tune each batter to the targeted pitch; note the DD reading.
7. Install and seat the reso; back off and tune up to same DD reading. The pitch will now be higher than the target pitch you started with!
8. Back off both heads in small but equal increments and tune up until equally tensioned at the target pitch. Use a soft mallet to eliminate the false impression from the ‘attack’, and strike dead center.

What you will end up with is equally and evenly tensioned batter and reso, and all the drums in the interval pattern you have chosen. It will be the most open sound you can get, and there will be no pitch-bending in the resonance.

I prefer just the intervals I mentioned so the virtually every drum combination is a root/fifth, root/fourth (by inversion), or an octave – essentially a chord. This way all combinations work together, and don’t sound ‘thin’ or dissonant.

A lot of ideas here; I hope it is presented logically and makes sense.”

I do not recall the readings from my Signatures heavies, which are the same diameter, thicker shells, and the two floor toms are 2" deeper, and tuned to the same pitches, but I do recall they are very similar. This is the first time I have used 10 mil single ply batter and resonant on the Signatures, and I need to update the spreadsheet I keep for this. Sizes are:

• 16x18
• 14x16
• 12x10 (cut down from standard 12x12)
• 8x8

I don’t recall your kit sizes, but the principle of (i) finding each shell’s tuning range, (ii) choosing the intervals you want to use, (ii) tuning them to those intervals, and, (iv) recording the readings will apply to any kit.

There may be minor variations attributable to DD calibration.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:54 pm 

Wow Thanks for all that Cliff! Your one very handy guy to know! I'm gonna try out your method and will get back to you after I have tried the results. May be a while before I get a chance to play my SQ2's again mind you. Trying to tie down my guitarist is a nightmare!!!!
:)

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:12 am 

I honestly don't know how someone would find one not useful.
Sure...you can get along without one, I did for many years, but why if you don't have to.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:16 am 

http://www.samash.com/p/Drum%20Dial%20P ... _-49967713

That's a great price... The only one I've seen back here was 120euros... :o

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:45 am 

I agree Cliff, I love my drumdial. I prefer the "Cliff Settings". It's nice to see some familiar faces here.
Greg