On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DESIGNER AND LITE SNARES
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:31 pm 

I have been having some good result tuning my snares a little differently. Cranking the snare side heads up a lot and tuning the batter side down slightly. To wit, snare side up from 74 to 81 (DD), and the batter down from 86 to 84. The improvement is more pronounced on the Lite snare, which now has plenty of body and resonance the harder it is hit.

The Designer throwoff continues to frustrate me, because there is no point at which the snares are not either rattling or choking the head. Mostly I have to settle for a compromise between the two. The Throwoff II, at least as it functions on the LIte, is much more articulate and does not easily choke the head.

I set the Lite aside for a long time because it seemed too thin a sound unless played very softly, and when hit hard it made an ear hurting sort of crack. With the new tuning, while a forte hit is loud, it is no longer hurtful to my ears, and it is now highly musical with lots of sustain and reverberation that just gets louder the harder it's hit. The overall sound is cutting and crisp with a wealth of sonic variation.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:16 pm 

Great stuff Greg, the Lites are lovely snares, I tune the snare side up relatively high and tune the batter medium to high, this really bring out the tone which I think you speak of...my Designer 5" is tuned the same way and sounds great, but yes the wires do rattle and it's a fine line between great sound and choking and that's with the original Designer throw off which is the same as the Lite 4" throw off, adjustable at both ends.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:24 am 

Personally, I have always preferred to tune the lugs on the snare head very tight (not sure of a DD tension#), but leave the 4 lugs surrounding the snares a half or full turn looser. That way you get the benefit of a really crisp snare sound, but the snares have a little looser head to grab onto and it increases "snareness" to me but reduces buzz and/or choke.

But of course, snare drums and snare beds all differ and your mileage my vary drastically! ;)

Greg, do these snares have die-cast or triple flange hoops?

- D.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:53 pm 

phatsolid wrote:

Greg, do these snares have die-cast or triple flange hoops?

- D.

David, the Lite snare I have carries the 3 flange, 3mm thick hoops, so enormously thick and quite rigid. The hoops on my Designer are die-cast.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:04 pm 

I find that triple flange hoops will often open up a drum that seems a little "uptight" with die-cast hoops. If you still feel the Designer sounds a bit choked you could always try swapping to a triple flange batter hoop to see if you like the sound of that even more.

- D.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:25 pm 

phatsolid wrote:
I find that triple flange hoops will often open up a drum that seems a little "uptight" with die-cast hoops. If you still feel the Designer sounds a bit choked you could always try swapping to a triple flange batter hoop to see if you like the sound of that even more.

- D.

I've surely thought of that, but the throwoff is not going to get any better. It is a disappointment that Sonor - and everyone else - seems to have dropped the concept of parallel snares. But you never know. I work for a while with one drum, make a discovery, move to the other, work with it for a while and move back again. It's a funny world of improvements. One thing I very much miss on the Lite: Tunesafes. The Link era spring loaded clips just aren't as effective.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:24 am 

This is spooky as just a few days ago I broke out my lite snare for the first time properly since moving house in November. Reseated the the heads and cranked em up to my liking and was really disappointed in the sound I was getting. Replaced the wires that were of unknown origin that it came with and tried tuning similar to what your describing Greg and WOW this drum is awesome! Actually the closest I have ever heard to my Cottonwood and you know how much I adore that drum.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:43 am 

Funny how these things come and go, isn't it Ron? Glad that was useful information. I got it from Tony at Cymbalsonly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:54 pm 

I tumbled upon this when looking for tuning info on Lite snares, but unless you want to read oodles of Germanic nonsense about how drum shells should not move, skip to the quote from the article below... . It just so happened that in this article from Modern Drummer, 1985, a Lite snare was being tuned at the factory when the author was there: the rest follows.

I was intrigued and checked my Lite's tuning against a tuner, and my tuning is the same as factory spec. I would say it corresponds to a rock tuning more than a snappy jazz tuning. In this mode, the edges have lots of ring but the center is a full but dry pop. The more I work with recording the Lite snare, the more I like it.

http://www.sonormuseum.com/articles/MD% ... 985MD.html

Quote:
We know, from the research that has been done, what the ideal tuning is for our different models of drums, so we tune them before they are sent out...He turns the drum so that each tension bolt, in turn, is under the microphone. Rolf pointed out that, if you want this sort of accurate tuning, this is a very time-effective way of doing it; it takes three or four minutes only, as opposed to half an hour or more if it were being done by ear. As a matter of interest, the drum I saw being tuned was a Sonorlite 71/4 x 14 wooden snare drum. The batter head was tuned to Db and the snare head to Gb.
Eccentric, perhaps. Most drummers just fiddle around with their drums until they get a sound they like, but the scientific research conducted by the people at Sonor has led them to consider the "perfect" sound for their drums-and they don't want anything short of perfection to leave their factory.

Post subject: Kelly was right...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:56 am 

An interesting read.

To paraphrase a portion, 'Signatures are as close to perfection as can be produced, but we make some others for those that refuse to accept that.' This philosophy then became the basis for Designers, then SQ2.

Kelly has said to me more than once words to the effect that, 'If Sonor knows what they are doing, then they should not give me the chance to !@#$ it all up by making all my own choices'. That was before Kelly went off into the infamous "SQ2 period", but was perhaps ultimately reinforced by that experience. :?

I am perhaps most surprised by the unequivocally expressed aversion to reinforcement rings, and the subsequent return of 'vintage' shells.

If I had to summarize the entire article, and the subsequent history, I would say that Sonor has migrated from 'what you should want, built the best way', to, 'whatever you want, built well'.

Interesting though, that Tune-Bot now offers the factory tuning technology to anyone that chooses to make use of it.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?