On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IT'S A GOOD THING...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:54 pm 

... that everyone here knows all there is to know. Silence is the sign of a well informed population.

Actually, I'd rather knock around tuning my 20 kick than ask how to tune it. Although it takes much longer that way (as in never), I have found, on the whole, that asking for advice in tuning is much like asking for advice in baking without using measuring spoons or thermostats. "Pretty tight" is great advice as long as you're the one giving it. "For a full open sound..." Right.

Then there's the Youtube vids. Excellent advice for one kind of sound, the dead sound. What those guys call a big, live sound sounds like a box with some echo on it. Why buy a good drum if you want Puhh? "First you tune everything according to its wrinkles then fill the drum with pillows. Then you add more damping on the outside. Now, put your head in the reso while your friend hits the pedal... turn a few knobs... Wow! That's perfect!"

What the hell? Now all drummers can sound equally bad, but your sound man will love you. And, apparently, he will tell you how great you sound. How many times have I read "The sound guy said mine was the best kick he'd heard...." Yeah, yeah yeah. They tell that to all the girls. The sycophant with the duct tape is using enough "eau de tambour" to make you smell good to the audience, but you're still playing boxes. He's congratulating himself, not you, sucker!

Maybe one of these days I'll get famous. I still won't know anything, but I'll be able to pay someone else to and he can tell me how great I sound. "I gotta tell you - and I've miked a lot of drums..."

Post subject: Re: IT'S A GOOD THING...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:21 am 

With the occasional pleasant surprise, most things are worth about their cost to acquire.

The cost to publish 'information', and the cost of acquiring same, is nearly zero along with the penalty for completely false, useless, inaccurate or incomplete information.

Now part of the cost of acquiring true, useful, accurate, complete information is the burden of filtering if from all the bullshit that can today be 'published' with the greatest of ease.
:?

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:49 am 

cliff wrote:
With the occasional pleasant surprise, most things are worth about their cost to acquire.
:?
:lol:

A case in point, here's one that simplifies the matter of bass drum mic placement - and tuning - to its essential components. I found this after several days spent experimenting, making all sorts of analytical errors but gaining hard knowledge at the same time.

After I got squared away and actually recorded what the mic was picking up (as opposed to listening through the headphones while playing), I was surprised to find that placing the mic at dead center on the reso most closely created the sound I was looking for; a combination of attack and sustained fundamental. Thinking I had to be wrong, I googled "mic placement bass drum" and this is what came up... for dummies, no less:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/m ... -drum.html

Just ignoring the parts about adding pillows and mattresses - I have been ignoring that stuff since owning my first Sonor kick -it was reassuring that this very simple and brief treatise corresponded exactly with my hard won experience, both as to mic placement and the effect of tuning on what the mic hears. I am so headstrong that had I not gone through the process myself, I might not have understood the term "boom" (which is bad or good, depending) and have avoided the dead center mic position on the reso, mostly because I have an arbitrary bias against "the middle." But it makes sense, physically, that the middle is where the maximum combination of attack and fundamental tone are to be found, using one close mic and an unported head.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:28 pm 

Send it back to me for a full refund. That drum cannot be tuned, trust me :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:13 pm 

Kelly wrote:
Send it back to me for a full refund. That drum cannot be tuned, trust me :twisted:

That's very good of you, Kelly. Always helping out your fellow man. :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:28 pm 

Greg, I wholeheartedly apologize for thrusting that junky 20" BD your way. When you tire of trying to tune and mic it (or taking a decent photo of it), I'll take it back to ease your suffering! ;)

Glad you're digging the experimentation. Wish I was there to share the experience!

- D.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:32 pm 

:cry: You and Kelly are good friends! :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:37 pm 

ahem...

..as I recall, I was next in the queue.
;)

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:24 pm 

:cry: :shock: :cry:

So many good friends, no matter which way I look.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:29 pm 

I love those Modern Drummer ads that have a famous guy saying. "The Sound engineers love this product, get yours today". Ha Ha!