On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:55 am 

Does using a 2 ply skin (like Pinstripe, Emperor, etc.) damage the bearing edge quicker, than using a single ply head (Ambassador, Diplomat)...

Also, does higher tuning (tighter) do any damage on the bearing edge... We're not talking about stick marks (although I did 1-2 on the Hilites :lol: ), just regular use (not abuse)...

Since plastic is placed against wood - I expect that in the long run some damage occurs - that's why people get bearing edges recut, right?!?

What do You think?!?

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 am 

Hey Goki,

Not sure if single ply heads are any better or worse than two-ply, but bearing edges do wear after a while, with normal, non-abusive use. My basis for observation is my Rogers kit, which I bought brand new, and have owned for 40 years; hence a long period of history that I know every bit of.

Last year, I took that kit with me to the northeast, and while I was up there, had the bearing edges refreshed for the first time since I have owned them, at the same time I had the Signature 12" tom cut down).

There was certainly some amount of normal, even wear, and if that had been all there was, I would have left them as they were. The biggest problem I had was a low spot on the 12" tom, directly above the mounting point on the shell. Rogers shells of the era are pretty thin, and my conclusion was that this low spot was a result of 40 years of wear due to the shell flexing at the mounting point.

Personally I suspect that much of the sound change from even wear on the the bearing edge over time is what gets attributed to 'mellowing of the wood' over time, but is really bearing edge mellowing.

I would have left the Rogers kit alone, if the wear had been even.

On your second question, I do not have any way to know for sure, but I suspect that friction produces more wear than pressure, hence higher tunings may cause less wear than low tuning.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:18 am 

cliff wrote:

On your second question, I do not have any way to know for sure, but I suspect that friction produces more wear than pressure, hence higher tunings may cause less wear than low tuning.

I would have guessed the opposite, but I suspect that you're right about that, Cliff. In either case, the best way to preserve the bearing edge, whether it is tension or pressure that causes the wear, is to play fewer notes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:22 am 

cliff wrote:

Personally I suspect that much of the sound change from even wear on the the bearing edge over time is what gets attributed to 'mellowing of the wood' over time, but is really bearing edge mellowing.

That certainly sounds right. But it should not be forgotten that wood instruments (without bearing edges) seem to take on a generosity of tone over time. At least, that is the opinion of violinists I know, and why should that not apply to drums? Something about a relaxation of the cell structure, reorganized to accommodate harmonics?

Not particularly demonstrable, I know.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:30 pm 

Gregory wrote:
cliff wrote:

That certainly sounds right. But it should not be forgotten that wood instruments (without bearing edges) seem to take on a generosity of tone over time. At least, that is the opinion of violinists I know, and why should that not apply to drums? Something about a relaxation of the cell structure, reorganized to accommodate harmonics?

Probably some element of each. The only empirical evidence I have is in my impression of how the sound of Rogers floor tom (evenly subdued edge, re-sharpened) changed, which was a slight 'brightening'.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:50 pm 

cliff wrote:
Gregory wrote:
cliff wrote:

Probably some element of each. The only empirical evidence I have is in my impression of how the sound of Rogers floor tom (evenly subdued edge, re-sharpened) changed, which was a slight 'brightening'.

Understood, and no question about that. It does intrigue, however, that wood can adapt to being played. Apparently it is demonstrable:

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/02/27/scien ... prove.html