On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2024 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SONOR DESIGNER THROWOFF
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:39 am 

The throwoff responds well to lubrication. The linkage that works behind the box comprises three pivots. They can be reached with an extension tube that come with aerosol lubricant cans.

I wouldn't use oil, because of the danger of destroying plastic and rubber parts. I used a German product by Liqui Moly Gmbh called GunTec. Claims to have no harmful effect on rubber, plastic, wood finishes, and contains no silicon or aromatic solvents.

Wonder why they aren't lubed from the factory. Makes quite a difference.

Boring, I know.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:04 pm 

Greg,
Is this the same throw? (Phonic reissue)
Being lefty, I position my throws for my right hand. Consequently, I am pushing away with my thumb to disengage and pulling with my middle finger, while using my thumb for leverage against the rubber covered top mounting bracket, to engage.
It seems to me that this right handed action might be slightly more user friendly than would be an opposing left side/left hand action.
Notwithstanding, It seems stiffer than ideal, and unlikely to "break in".
What about a judicious WD40 application?

Ron

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:08 pm 

Same one, Ron. Same one on SQ2, Classix (with plastic box), Delites, etc. Sonor's NOW throwoff.

I was clued in because the 8 deep snare came with one that required almost no effort, feels wonderfully mechanical. 6.5 felt stiff, Classix almost needed two hands. Now after lubing they all feel the same. I can activate the snares easily with my knee, no leverage needed.

I don't know about WD 40. They claim it is safe...

http://www.wd40.com/faqs/

... but they claim the ingredients are "a secret," probably because every other spray lubricant is identical. In any case, synthetic oils are better than petroleum based products because the molecules stay where they are put much longer. I use GunTec for all sorts of purposes.

One of the great characteristics of German spray cans is that the nozzles can be modulated to let small amounts out, a think no American can I've ever used can do; they're either on or off. German cans, with a minimum of practice, can be coerced to let out the most minimal ooze, which is plenty for small tasks like this one.