On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CYMBALS
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:14 pm 

Gentlemen,

I've owned 3 or 4 Flatrides and sold every one of them. One trick pony cymbals.
If I wanted to simplify, I'd get a nice 20" thin ride that is also crash-able. That and a 16" crash would be enough for just about anything.

Cheers,
:ugeek: Brian

Last edited by Hookd on Phonics on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:16 pm 

Seems david and I were at the same show, it was killer.
He seemed to favor his ride and China. I think rides have come full circle for a lot of folks, as they use all parts of the cymbal for different sounds, as opposed to haveing one that just hast a very defined stick tone with no wash and a weak(or too powerful) bell.
When he hit a crash it definitely had impact.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:41 pm 

I'm with Tim on having a versatile ride cymbal. I am so over dry, pingy rides. I like a full tone with a decent wash. I had a John Dolmayan Eclipse ride. When I played a straight eighth note rock patten the rest of my kit disappeared in the mix.
I couldn't hear for DAYS! :shock:

:ugeek: Brian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:27 pm 

Here is a pic of Jack's kit from the other night. He only had 1 ride, but I think his new rides have 3 different surfaces on them so he has some variety there. He had 2 crashes on the left that you can see. Tim - was his China off to the right and low... next to his ride? I didn't hear him playing many China sounds... more traditional ride/crash sounds. I though he sounded better as the night went on. He seemed cold and not warmed up to start... like I've felt for the last 3 months!! ;) After all it was only about 1 degree outside and he's getting on these days! The whole "Jack" vibe was there in spades though.

I thought it was interesting that they played so "outside" all night. His latest cd with Esperanza playing bass on it is very "tune" oriented. Hell, he even has Bruce Hornsby singing on it. But this concert was all very free improvisation.

- David

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:09 pm 

It was freezing out that night, it was 5 before I left the house with the wind whipping up the river. No wonder they started out slow.....
I did like the whole out vibe they had, they owned it. His china was to the right of the ride, now that I see your picture I know why you couldnt see it. That three point ride he had was great! He played the crap out of the china as well, but it had more of a trashy crash sound then a gongy china.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:12 am 

I hate all the "modern" sound reinforcement they feel compelled to use these days at shows like these. All they needed were some simple mic'ing of Esperanza, the sax, and the piano/Rhodes/Node. Instead it was all mic'ed up to the hilt and in a gorgeous small room like that I think you lose tons of dynamics. Lovano's sax was totally compressed and sounded the same volume all night, even though he was playing everything from loud squeaks to quiet flute parts.

I heard Joshua Redman's group in the same theater years ago and it sounded a million times better. If I recall there were no mics on anything but maybe the piano. I don't even think the sax was mic'ed.

- D.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:56 pm 

Hookd on Phonics wrote:

I've owned 3 or 4 Flatrides and sold every one of them. One trick pony cymbals.

I use my flatride more than I use my hi-hat, indeed in places where I once used the hats. In fact, I use it more than any other cymbal. As to one trick ponies, I know what you mean. However, it depends on the cymbal, what you want it for, and where you plan to play it. I bought a Paiste 602 flatride back in the early 80s because it sounded beautiful. Yup, the ones that sell for stupid money now. I took it back and traded it in for something else, at about half what I paid. I would love that cymbal today, even though I don't think it was as interesting as the Bosphorus I currently have.

tim wrote:
He only had 1 ride, but I think his new rides have 3 different surfaces on them so he has some variety there. .

I think we all use all parts of our cymbals for different sounds. However, one cymbal can only do so much. I am unconvinced that cymbals with areas of differing lathing patterns and really alter sound enough to think we are playing different cymbals, and if you are getting that much variation out of your cymbals, you are playing them extraordinarily lightly. In the little bit that I have experimented with them, the differences seemed minute, and I'm not sure it would have been any different had the lathing pattern been homogenous. I asked Cymbalsonly Tony about that, and he seemed unconvinced as well. Not that that makes it definitive.

Does anyone here own one of those cymbals?

phatsolid wrote:

That kit is so very un-JD! What is it? Not Designer nor SQ. Early Delite?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:18 pm 

Thats the only Sonor kit the area backline company has. It sounds great in a variety of situations

I dont have a 3 point, I've played a bunch on the store and they are nice. I have an Omni which is kinda the same concept, its on that video I posted

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:57 am 

tim wrote:

I dont have a 3 point, I've played a bunch on the store and they are nice. I have an Omni which is kinda the same concept...

I was asking about the concept. Are you satisfied that it gives you more variation than a cymbal without multiple lathing patterns?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:36 pm 

Yes I am Greg. I bought a used 21" and 18" Omni on DFO last year. Once I learned how to use them well I ended up with 4 different ride sounds, 2 good bells and 2 good crashes. The 21 has a darker crash than some people might like, but to have 2 cymbals with that much versatility for gigs around town is great.
As far as the lathed vs unlathed portions of the cymbal, there is a great deal of definition between them. The concept works. I've only tried the Sabian version, but I'm sure it holds true for the other makers as well.
I'll send you the ride if you want to try it out for a week or so, let me know.