On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:22 pm 

Kelly wrote:
I surely dislike jazz drummers taking on rock roll. And vise versa.

That's just the thing with me, though. I don't want to have to choose. I don't want to be known as just a "rock" drummer or a "jazz" drummer. I want to be a musician who plays "whatever" music comes out of me. And to be perfectly honest sometimes that's a blend of both. And I don't think the music suffers for it.

Steve Smith is far from my favorite drummer but I actually think some of the Vital Information stuff is great, and it is certainly a mix of both. I guess that's an example of what/where my bias shows. I guess I think SS can probably play more convincing rock than most rock drummers (not all) can play the variety of jazz/world stuff he plays.

- D.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:26 pm 

I never really needed to say anything in this thread.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIER-ARTIST- ... 6769615508

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:29 am 

Kelly wrote:
I never really needed to say anything in this thread.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIER-ARTIST- ... 6769615508

These are a very sweet hybrid concept from Premier Kelly - I don't know anything about the sound, but I think that the idea of having a light bass drum in both weight and sound, for jazz gigs, is achieved...

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:09 am 

It was just a sour joke Goki. Jazz drummers :roll:

I find it comical that the title has "Birch" in it. Does it really matter lmao.
The drum makes me think of the "NYC artist" who has to take his stuff on a bus or in a cab.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:22 am 

I actually owned one of these once. It sounds as bad as you'd think it would.

I do, however, have a 20x12" BD that sounds awesome. I just think the 8" is just not enough depth for the air to move around.

- D.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:28 pm 

phatsolid wrote:
I actually owned one of these once. It sounds as bad as you'd think it would.

I do, however, have a 20x12" BD that sounds awesome. I just think the 8" is just not enough depth for the air to move around.

- D.

Right - I knew there was a 12" version - I just thought I was mistaken.

The 8" could be used as a woofer... ;)

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:36 pm 

This Polish funeral band gives new meaning to music, jazz or otherwise. It's very hard to tell what is going on but they do it in wonderful synchronism. How do they persist? Where do I audition?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbdG4bx5 ... r_embedded

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:36 pm 

phatsolid wrote:
This is an interesting thread. I hope my comments on the video thread didn't open an old rotten can of worms! :o

Anyway, when I said "I'm quite a snob when it comes to jazz, and unless I played jazz for a living or at least taught and played jazz gigs weekly, I would never call myself a jazz drummer" I guess I didn't represent my true feelings very articulately. I certainly know fabulous jazz drummers who don't make a living playing music. And Lord knows making any money at all by creating art of any kind is a crap shoot at best!

However, having (a) studied jazz in an academic environment for awhile, and (b) played jazz with some great players who could play rings around me, and (c) watched at close range the way that someone with great facility can communicate through his/her instrument in a jazz environment, has helped define my feelings in this area.

The concept of jazz is fundamentally built around improvisation. And I think to be able to improvise on your instrument not only takes some amount (a lot?) of technique, but it takes an understanding of song form, tension and release, good time and rhythmic creativity, etc. But jazz is not just about improvising. If you are talking about swing-based music, the quarter note pulse on the ride cymbal needs to have a certain "forward motion" feel to it in order for the music to "swing" IMO. If you can't achieve this (and this is no small feat), then the "jazz" feel just doesn't groove for me. And if the music/groove doesn't feel good, then it gives me a visceral stomach ache. The moral of this tedious story is that, to me, there is no harder music for me to listen to than jazz that is not swinging, or "bad" jazz. A very mediocre rock band or lounge act, even with a sloppy drummer or out of tune voices/instruments, is much easier for me to tolerate for some reason.

Perhaps this is because I have seen first-hand from others and from my own practicing, the incredible dedication that goes into having the technical facility to just play the music so it is at a minimum grooving and feels good, even if it is not really creative improvising. And this is nothing to speak of the variety of latin/world styles that are incorporated into jazz like bossa nova, samba, afro-cuban, etc. which need to become part of your arsenal and which require very different feels.

And to better refine what I originally meant about my own playing, to even feel comfortable playing a "standards" jazz gig, I need to practice playing jazz for several hours
the week before, just to get that feel back in my limbs. I don't need to do this with rock, funk or blues. This is probably because I came to know jazz only after I'd played back-beat music for 10 years and while I've worked hard at it periodically over the years, it's very much like trying to speak a second language that you ignore for too long and then need to get reacquainted with.

When Kelly said "I don't think Jazz drummers are any kind of special or elite drummers" I might have to disagree with him somewhat on a big-picture level. While there are incredible drummers in all facets of music, I think that most drummers who are "good" jazz drummers can also play most other styles very convincingly if needed (rock, soul, funk, blues, reggae etc.) However, many good (even great) rock drummers don't know how or have the technique to play a decent swing, blues or reggae groove. And maybe that doesn't mean anything... they never wanted to and will never have to. But to me, being able to play and internalize many different grooves and musical styles informs your musical expression and allows you to draw on all that for creativity. And that puts the "good jazz drummer" a little higher in my book.

- D.

Certainly a lot of interesting information in here, David. In fact, more than I can coalesce, if I may use that verb incorrectly. The body of jazz is nothing like the body of rock. The only thing that rock really requires is that the drums hit on 2 and 4. If you can keep to that, you are better than 96% of rock drummers. Jazz doesn't have that kind of simple urge. I played rock for forty something years, and so I can relate to what you say, when you talk about having to get in form to play jazz.

What really troubles me is that I still struggle with liking jazz, which would seem. at a bare minimum, a requirement to being able to play it. But even as I say that, I know that jazz, in some form or other, is what is calling me as a drummer. Hard to describe this state of transition, but I'm going through it because there is no option in my musical life. I mean, I won't be trying to play Palestrina on the kit anytime soon.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:17 am 

Greg, I'm just curious... do you play any other instruments at all?

I see my enjoyment of jazz much like I reflect on my enjoyment of playing drums or sports. The better I got at them, the more I enjoyed it. You are right... jazz is a very complex language. And for the harmonic instruments, I would argue that it is that much more demanding than many other idioms, pop and rock especially. But this is hard for people who don't have an understanding of jazz theory to really understand. And without getting all "in the weeds" about it, this is why jazz is largely too cerebral for most non-musicians to dig. My Dad loves it, but he grew up in the Swing/Big-Band era was jazz music WAS pop music! But his tastes stop at about Miles Davis. He wants to always be able to hear a part of the melody and know what tune is being played.

I think appreciation of any art can be viewed sort of two ways. There are those people who just like it instantly for how it makes them feel on a very basic guttural level. I have always loved people like Albert King for this reason. And Steve Earle. And Expressionist painters.

And then there are those people who may be just as moved on a primal level, but are able to appreciate it with a deeper level of understanding because they are either artists/musicians themselves or have studied the craft. I definitely began to enjoy and appreciate jazz much more (both playing and listening) the more I learned about it on a musical level.

It's funny, among my musician friends, I don't know any of them who listen to or like jazz who don't also play it pretty well. But I do have other non-musician friends who like it and listen to it as much as they do other forms of music.

- D.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:26 am 

Gregory wrote:
This Polish funeral band gives new meaning to music, jazz or otherwise. It's very hard to tell what is going on but they do it in wonderful synchronism. How do they persist? Where do I audition?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbdG4bx5 ... r_embedded

Wow! That was very "Spinal Tap-ish" if I may say so. And a most disconsonant way to get serenaded into the earth! :o
I think the alto player was in the wrong key the whole time! But I applaud most honest efforts to make music regardless of result.

- D.