On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:19 pm 

This freaking rocks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ahjx0GGP-M

It's worth staying til the end

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:21 am 

Talk about talent.

WOW :o

Thanks for posting Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:34 am 

Sometimes... well, quite often, actually..., I watch something and think, "Never, even if I practiced my entire life..."

Doggone it!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:27 am 

Quote:
"I almost always hate two drummers."

Which two today? :? :lol:

Kidding aside, Kelly, I don't often appreciate two drummers much either, with notable exceptions.

The Allman Brothers Band did it right. Very often one guy would play the more straight ahead pattern, with the other guy playing a swing pattern against it, and it generally provided a lovely push/pull tension within a steady rhythm. Tunes llike One Way Out and Trouble No More come to mind as good examples.

The link you posted was very enjoyable, but in a whole different style.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:03 am 

Quote:
Which two today?

Whenever it involves four sticks :lol:

Never got into the Allman brothers. Most of my guitar player friends (understandably) did growing up and I had all I could do to prevent becoming an Allman brothers tribute band. It meant two guitar players and I hated that scenario. It just meant "louder" back then.
I know the Allman brothers were at the top of the game back then which meant the door would have been opened for a lot of other horrible scenarios lmao.
I saw 38 Special once, they had a few songs (commercial) that I really liked. They did two drummers and there was absolutely no reason for it. The only reason I got to see them is because they were opening for Jefferson Starship who I liked a lot of their stuff.
As a side note, Starships drummer did one of thee worst pro band live solos I have ever seen. So much so that when he was finished you could hear a pin drop. This was Madison Square Garden for God sakes, they applaud for anything. Just happy they made it to the arena alive. He got pissed and walked around his kit, pumping his hands up to encourage the audience to applaud.
One of the sleeper solos of my life was the drummer from Survivor. Totally was not expecting that guy to rip a solo out of that caliber.

I am in no way shape or form prejudice, I'm colorblind. But it seems Big black guys can SHRED like nobody's business. At about 7:40 in the video you can see him dragging all his stuff back lmao

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:44 am 

The Allman Brothers Band is a great example of how 2 drummers should work side by side...
One drives, the other adds, and vice-versa. And you get that "almost steady" groove that (believe me) is hard to replicate with other 2 drummers.

The whole idea in playing side by side is - listening!!!
Not going brute with technique or force, and tend to prove yourself worthier than the "opponent", but listen to what he plays and experiment with it. Only then, the rhythm can be lifted to a whole new level...

The video is great Kelly - thanx for sharing... :)
Both drummers are great, but (to me) it looks like just another 2 drummers on a jam-session or show...

If I'm not mistaken, this sounds interesting as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8DmUPZWmKA

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:17 am 

I was right...all huge black guys lol

I hear ya Goki, but I like that the two guys did it in song fashion and it wasn't overbearing. It helps liking the song. Really liked the bass player and guitar player too.
It rarely works for me. Not to mention both have some incredible chops.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:24 pm 

Probably not many Melvins fanatics here, but I'm a big fan of the Crover/Willis combo. Every time I've seen them live they've definitely delivered. This one doesn't do them justice, but some cool overhead shots! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYrK4KpPcO4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:22 am 

Those guys blow my mind live, they are so good.
Definitely not everyones bag though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:12 am 

Who are all these bands? I have heard of the Allman Brothers, but none of the rest.

You guys lead exciting lives. The only concert I didn't walk out before the drum solo on was in 1965. Now that I think of it, that may have been the only concert I didn't walk out on, and there was no drum solo; Charlie wasn't much for that. No, wait a minute, I also saw the entire Beach Boys show, but that was only because of my girl cousins from Richmond.