On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is it called...
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:52 am 

Gregory wrote:
cliff wrote:
Gregory wrote:
...Are you at one point tapping one stick with another into the snare head? Don't know what that technique is called...

I don't know what that techique is called either, but I don't recall doing that anywhere in this tune. Can you give me an approximate time stamp of an example?
;)

I could, although the program this opens in does not show any details. Probably very well controlled rimshots, 'cause you'd know if you were slap-sticking (made that up :oops: ) :)

Hey Greg,

This wil become a discussion of its own, so I moved it over here.

The question of terminology is interesting, and reminds me of a funny incident from about a year ago.I was playing a pick-up gig. and before the beginning of a tune that I did not know (their original), the guitarist turned to me and told me that it was a pretty straightforward tune that began with 'rimshots' on 2 & 4.

After about a bar of inappropriate 'power intro', and a couple of daggers from the guitarist's eyes, it was readily apparent that this was not right. At the conclusion of the set, I took the guitarist aside and explained the difference between 'rimshot' and 'crossstick'. :? :o

He apologized for putting his lack of knowledge on display, through me.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

Post subject: Re: What is it called...
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:17 am 

cliff wrote:

He apologized for putting his lack of knowledge on display, through me.[/color]

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm betting those are your words, not his.

I start to laugh when guitarists dictate what they want, because it is usually phrased in baby talk (for drummers). It can sound like this: Shi ba du ba shi di be du ba.... "Can you state that in musical terms?" usually terminates the silliness.

Part of the problem of terminology, even among drummers is this; I think a rimshot is simply including the rim in an otherwise normal stroke. But I have an authoritative book written in the 1960's that describes a rimshot as being "made by hitting one stick which is laid against the rim and drum head with the other stick." :shock: