On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NEWS FROM THE FLAT RIDE
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:28 am 

It's been so quiet here, I wonder what you guys are all up to?

I bought a Bospherus Masters Turk flat ride that I've been assimilating. Actually, it would be truer to say that it assimilated me: I bought one that had a defect and split after a couple hours of playing, and I could hardly play in the time between shipping it off and getting another. Most new cymbals are like large or small revelations, but this flat ride is not. It is more a sound that has silently accompanied me, and so has no startling quality now that it has materialized. But now that I have heard it, I don't want to be without it.

Continuing to work on finger strokes, quieter playing, and phrasing. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:01 pm 

Hi Gregory,
My first flatride was an 18" Avedis Zildjian back around '88. I loved it, but sold it years later for my first 22" Dry Heavy Ride. I found that I would tire of the sound and really wouldn't play it out without an additional conventional ride. I could use it for three or four songs a night.
I think I still have a Paiste 18" flatride, but I may have sold my 20". The Zildjian had a magical "glass-like" quality to it, while the Paistes seem to miss that now mythical mark for me. This seems strange, as Paiste is credited for having invented the Flatride!

:ugeek: Brian

PS: I think the summertime has a lot to do with the current "mellowness" of the forum. Thankfully, it seems a lot of us here have a life away from the keyboard.
I've been busy getting a bunch of drum stuff ready for sale to provide extra money for a trip to Northern California. We need to visit our son and his family before he heads off to Afghanistan with the USMC. They have twin four year old sons, an almost two year old daughter, and another daughter due right around when my son is leaving. They have moved the family up to Northern California with her mom, while my son prepares for deployment. So, we're heading out there at the end of this month.
:ugeek: BWS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:36 am 

So, does this one sound similar too the original Ride you chose? :? How much wobble has she got? Amazing how different two cymbals can sound, even with the same weight, profile and model name/number.

We had an awesome UFIP Experience series 20 flat Ride. Lathed in the style of their Class Series.
Very soft, yet full definition, subtle wash. :D If I could play Jazz I might have bought it :P :lol: , but it did'nt last very long, first Jazz player that came in bought it :ugeek:

Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:40 am 

Hookd on Phonics wrote:
Hi Gregory,
My first flatride was an 18" Avedis Zildjian back around '88. I loved it, but sold it years later for my first 22" Dry Heavy Ride. I found that I would tire of the sound and really wouldn't play it out without an additional conventional ride. I could use it for three or four songs a night.
I think I still have a Paiste 18" flatride, but I may have sold my 20". The Zildjian had a magical "glass-like" quality to it, while the Paistes seem to miss that now mythical mark for me. This seems strange, as Paiste is credited for having invented the Flatride!

:ugeek: Brian

PS: I think the summertime has a lot to do with the current "mellowness" of the forum. Thankfully, it seems a lot of us here have a life away from the keyboard.
I've been busy getting a bunch of drum stuff ready for sale to provide extra money for a trip to Northern California. We need to visit our son and his family before he heads off to Afghanistan with the USMC. They have twin four year old sons, an almost two year old daughter, and another daughter due right around when my son is leaving. They have moved the family up to Northern California with her mom, while my son prepares for deployment. So, we're heading out there at the end of this month.
:ugeek: BWS

Hey, Brian; first, thank your son for his service, and thank you and your family for the sacrifice that entails. He and all your family will be in my prayers, if you don't mind.

I bought a Paiste 18" 602 flat ride – probably in 84 or 85, looking for a ride with no wash or buildup. In the store it was perfect but couldn't be heard –at all– in a live rock band. I guess I had it for a while but never really used it. :cry:

I can remember clearly its tone, very clear and translucent, a lovely cymbal with absolutely no volume knob. You could hit it with a bat but couldn't get anything more out of it. That's characteristic and one of the values of the breed, but I'd guess it was truer of the 602 than any other Paiste.

The Bosphorus Masters Turk is, by comparison, very thin, very dark, with a pronounced wooden click from the stick as its primary characteristic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:10 am 

Jeff wrote:
So, does this one sound similar too the original Ride you chose? :? How much wobble has she got? Amazing how different two cymbals can sound, even with the same weight, profile and model name/number.

We had an awesome UFIP Experience series 20 flat Ride. Lathed in the style of their Class Series.
Very soft, yet full definition, subtle wash. :D If I could play Jazz I might have bought it :P :lol: , but it did'nt last very long, first Jazz player that came in bought it :ugeek:

Cheers.

Quite similar. Enormous wobble, so much so that part of the fun in playing it involves allowing the returning edge to hit the stick, creating interesting accidents. No lathing at all on the Bos Master Turk. Very thin. When laid partially on a table, the overhanging bit droops! The sound is soft, absorbed, defined more by the wooden click of the stick than by any "ping," quick crash with immediate decay. When hit with the shoulder of the stick, the sound is a kind of echoing patter; I keep thinking of cat's paws running across taut cable in a cavernous room;

In listening to the files at Cymbalsonly, the variations between cymbals are quite pronounced, but having had two to compare I'd be willing to bet that you can't go wrong with any of them. The similarities outweigh the differences. Choice comes down to the crash's speed, froth and pitch. Heavier versions have a shade more high-pitch click, lighter version a softer wood, but the wooden click is so pronounced in person the nuances may be unimportant, unless closely miked.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the replacement. It's 21 rather than 20 so has a bit more edge wobble; it is slightly heavier (proportionally) so has a shade more... uh, not really "ping" but some quality that penetrates when transitioning to the flat from my Hammer ride. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:03 pm 

Wow - GREAT topic... :)

Greg - a Flat Ride is a very interesting cymbal to play... Almost nothing happens when we talk of dynamics, BUT on the other hand, that's the most difficult part...
Sure, a Flat Ride is nowhere to be heard in loud surroundings, but in a trio or quartet it's working great. And it really gives You hard time because You have to stay focused on what You play on the Ride...

For example - if I use my regular 20" K Custom Dark, it works perfect. Latin/Funk/Rock - You name it...
The 18" K Custom Flat Ride (thanx Cliff) is completely the opposite. Makes me play more focused, quiet, and with a lot of feel... If you wanna be heard, use whatever You like, but if You wanna be heard and analyzed, using a dry ride works since it focuses the listeners energy on Your playing, and not on the cymbal sound...

Brian - Your son is doing a very noble job... God bless You all...

:geek:

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:12 am 

We have an old Paiste 602 16in FlatRide at work. No Volume at all, heaps of definition and a great fast Crash.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:43 pm 

Goki wrote:
...The 18" K Custom Flat Ride (thanx Cliff) is completely the opposite. Makes me play more focused, quiet, and with a lot of feel... If you wanna be heard, use whatever You like, but if You wanna be heard and analyzed, using a dry ride works since it focuses the listeners energy on Your playing, and not on the cymbal sound...

Spot on.

No wash at all for sticking to get lost in. You get what you play.

Glad you are enjoying that K Custom flat ride, Goki. I have one flat ride now that I like, but I am hearing another one in my head, too. Gotta find it.
;)

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:59 am 

Brian...safe travels and also would like to be praying for you and your family. I have the utmost respect for those that serve in the armed forces and the families that make such a huge sacrifice.

I think you are right....summertime. Most of my projects and activities are centered outside at the moment.
Inside I have been working on veneering a drum. The research alone is insane.

Sorry I have not owned a flatride so I cannot comment. I like to experiment but still don't think I would ever have a use for one.

AWESOME avatar Cliff!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:30 pm 

Thanks, Kelly.

Thie logo was the work of CustoMary Creations, which I believe is a one-person shop, and located in NY. I would recommend her to anyone in need of this kind of service.

Teri called on some of her contacts in the design industry, and the designer turned it around very quickly, with very good communication during development and editing.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?