On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:21 pm 

As some of you suspected, there is a new kit in the family! Sully made me a very decent deal on the walnut roots Designers, and the shells all arrived safely on Friday. Tom mounting hardware and floor tom legs are still en route, so I can’t set it up yet.

This kit is almost identical sizes to my bubinga Designer:

Walnut Roots size & tuning:

• 10x9 RT -- Eb
• 12x10 RT -- Bb
• 14x14 FT -- G
• 16x16 FT -- Eb
• 18x16 kick

Bubinga size & tuning:

• 8x8 RT-- G
• 12x10 RT -- C
• 14x14 FT -- G
• 16x16 FT -- C
• 18x16 kick

Since the smallest wlanut roots tom (10x9) doesn’t want to tune high enough to let me use the same philosophy as with the bubingas, I got to re-think the approach on the new kit.

With clear G1’s (batter & resonant) on all the toms, the mid-point between just beginning to resonate and choking is about 74 on my DD (just for reference), and that is where each drum seems the most ‘live’. From there I looked for a major scale that they would fit into with the least amount of tweaking. As you can see, it ended up being Eb, with the drums tuned 1-3-5-8 from bottom to top vs. the bubinga at 1-5-8-13. This is completely experimental for me, and it is does explain why I have always used 8/12/14/16 instead of 10/12/14/16 – I like each drum to be either a 5th, octave, or 4th (by inversion) of every other drum, and I don’t know how this closer grouping, without the harmonic relationships that I am used to, is going to work out.

As soon as the rest of the hardware arrives, I’ll get to find out.

Just in case, anyone got an 8x8 walnut roots maple light Designer tom for sale, or trade for a 10x9?

p.s. Goki, how are you tuning your 10/12/14 set-up?

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:36 am 

First of all Cliff - CONGRATULATIONS on the latest Designer purchase. We're all waiting for pics, You know that right?!?

Now, as far as tuning is concerned Cliff - I like lower tunings for the 12" and 14"ft, and a higher tuning for the 10".
Unfortunately, I haven't checked the latest tuning on my S Classix, since the keyboard is back at the apartment, but I think I still maintain the idea that the 10" and 14" should be an octave apart, and usually the 12" is a 5th of the 14". I remember using C-G-C in the old days...

Somehow, on the S Classix I used ear-tuning and DrumDial, and forgot to check the notes (somehow my piano playing lessons never started... :lol: )

But, next rehearsal, I'll borrow the tuner from my guitarist and check to see what my setting actually is... ;)

Congratulations once again Cliff - You and Gregory have fantastic sets... Well done, my friend, well done!!!

Let the good drums roll!!!