On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:20 pm 

A great line-up, doing one of my favorite Brecker tunes - Song for Bilboa.

Kinda like the white Designers, too.
;)

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:34 pm 

I have loads of albums of all these guys! Love it! I travelled with my girlfriend to Perugia in Italy last year to the Umbria Jazz Festival to see Metheny, Chick Corea and Marcus Millar. It was just mind blowing!
Thanks for posting Cliff :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:51 pm 

Yup. My collection has a lot of these guys in various different projects as well. ;)

I didn't realize you were much of a jazz guy, Ron. I think I assumed from your set-up that you were more of a rock guy.

Shows what making assumptions will get you, eh?

Do you go to the Umbria festival pretty regularly?

River City Trio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:24 pm 

cliff wrote:
I didn't realize you were much of a jazz guy, Ron. I think I assumed from your set-up that you were more of a rock guy.

I totally understand why you would assume that Cliff but no I am a HUGE jazz van and have been for many years. I got interested in Miles Davis as you do in my later teens and it formed from there. I like really heavy stuff like Ornette coleman who worked with Metheny on the Song X album. Crazy stuff but I like it. and I also like the more mainstream stuff like John Coltrane and Dizzy etc. Hard to believe I can have Meshuggah in my car on the way to work and Michael Brecker on the way home!

cliff wrote:
Do you go to the Umbria festival pretty regularly?

We have been looking to going again this year but I may be going trekking in Nepal with my father or we may even be visiting the Sonor factory in Germany! Who knows what we will end up doing but like us all my wallet will be the decider! I have been checking the Umbria Jazz festival lineup regularly to see who is attending this year but still very limited information up there. I guess if somebody I really loved was going it would make the decision easier!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:01 pm 

SonoRon wrote:
I totally understand why you would assume that Cliff but no I am a HUGE jazz van... !

Jazz vans can be much smaller than rock vans. No wonder the confusion!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:10 pm 

SonoRon wrote:
Hard to believe I can have Meshuggah in my car on the way to work and Michael Brecker on the way home!

On the contrary, it's normal to "wake up" driving to work, and relax while driving home... ;)

Kidding aside, it's a GREAT video!!!

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:15 pm 

Hey Ron,

I have that album as well; I need to be in a mood where I am willing to work a bit to understand, when listening to it. Not one that plays well when my wife is listening too, but I find it interesting. She will say something about 'traffic' and walk away.

Umbria has been on my radar screen for a while, too. When/if that gets real, we'll get in touch and see about connecting.

River City Trio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:06 am 

Gregory wrote:
Jazz vans can be much smaller than rock vans. No wonder the confusion!

:lol: Oops honest typing mistake I promise! :lol:

Goki wrote:
On the contrary, it's normal to "wake up" driving to work, and relax while driving home...

Very true Goki. The music you listen to on your way to work sets you up for the day and Meshuggah gets me ready to take on the morons that are the general public! :evil:

cliff wrote:
I have that album as well; I need to be in a mood where I am willing to work a bit to understand, when listening to it. Not one that plays well when my wife is listening too, but I find it interesting. She will say something about 'traffic' and walk away.

I know what you mean Cliff you have to be 'prepared' for that album but on the rare occasions that I am I really enjoy it. Chick Corea played in Perugia in 2010 when we were there and played a full set of his more piano based music rather than his earlier electronic stuff. I think it was Chick Corea and the freedom band. I was a little disappointed as I loved the stuff he did in the 80's with his electronic band but his hardcore jazz he was playing was just amazing! Kenny Garrett was incredible on the sax but watching Roy Haynes in his 80's banging out the intricate rhythms on the drums took the biscuit. The guy is a legend and now and again the beat would fade and he would have a giggle to himself and the rest of the band because he just simply needed a breather! It was a great night! On one of the last songs he attempted a small drum solo and made a mess of the ending and under his breath which was picked up VERY clearly by the drum mic's he muttered 'Awww shit'. The entire Arena Santa Giuliana erupted with laughter! Ok I'm going off topic here!
Umbria has been on my radar screen for a while, too. When/if that gets real, we'll get in touch and see about connecting.
That would be awesome Cliff!!! Lets make it happen if we can. Who else wants to come?!? :lol:

Here is a video from Perugia I shot of a few street performers I found particularly entertaining. They call themselves 'Acoustic Spirit Duo'. The gentleman doing the vocals was a passer by who decided to join in and I think they were just great to watch and listen too. Sorry If I have shown this to you guys before :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJUIZmJY ... ature=plcp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:54 am 

Pretty cool, Ron. I was glad the didgeridoo was abandoned early on. :lol: :lol: :lol: