On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grip on sticks?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:23 am 

Not sure if any of you guys struggle with this or not, but especially in winter, it gets so dry in NE that sticks are cold and slippery to grip. Obviously it's worse when I haven't been able to practice much. On a lark I tried some of those sticks with a grip on them, and damn if they didn't feel pretty good. The grip adds a little weight to the back half of the stick which I kind of liked, especially since I really don't like sticks that are designed like that naturally (thinner necks).

I still don't like the way they look, and I keep going back to regular sticks because I found a regular stick I love and it forces me to try to maintain better contact with the stick. Some people might think it's weird, but the stick drops often happen when I'm going for a cymbal hit and miss it 'cause I'm not looking at it or it's not quite where my brain thought it was. I also realized that I really loosen up on my stick grip during a lot of cymbal hits, especially playing softer styles. I tend to throw the stick at the cymbal a bit, as I never liked the sound of a tightly gripped stick smacking a cymbal. I think they open up much more if you can coax the sound out of them?

Anyway, I know there's a lot of stick grip products out there, goopy concoctions and whatnot. Just wondering if any of you have and experience with this stuff?

- David

Post subject: Re: Grip on sticks?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:51 am 

Every now and then, I get the dropsies. Dunno why.

As for dry hands, I use a skin moisturizer (anything that does not leave my hands greasy or smell like a tart in heat) in winter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:40 am 

Hey David,

I have never played with stick with any sort of coating. I have assumed that the coating was either (i) to provide a shock buffer, or, (ii) to counteract sweat. Neither are problems I have.

I have picked up a pair in the store, out of curiosity, and I don’t think I would like to use them.

I play quieter ghost notes and double stroke rolls with fingers more than wrists, and the coated stick would make it difficult to impossible to move the index finger of the left hand (traditional grip) on the stick.

I do agree with you that cymbal strikes with a tight grip are deadening.

I like Greg’s suggestion of trying a good skin moisturizer.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:18 pm 

I really have this problem in winter. It's because of dry hands. I used dipped sticks for awhile and liked them. Ultimately i felt i needed a better feeling stick and came away from them.
The best solution i found is corn huskers lotion. Instant relief and the stuff just disappears. All other lotions i tried didn't work. As soon as you just slightly warm up your hands get oily.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:19 pm 

I don't use anything before playing. Just the usual maintenance to keep the hands moisturized.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:32 am 

Maybe use some chalk powder, like the gymnastics?

Basically, any creme or oil makes problems when hands start to sweat... :(

Let the good drums roll!!!