On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fishy Sonor sales tales
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:32 pm 

Hope all is well out in the group.

Is it me, or half the time do folks selling Sonor gear not know what they are selling?

This week I have seen a sale for a D506 that was actually a D556, a kit labeled 50 years old from the 60's that was a Centennial Phonic, and a set of Lites advertising the wrong sizes correctly corrected by Jeff. How can you determine the value of something when you don't know what it is? All of these folks were asking for hundreds if not over 1k.

I am sure this is innocent and know one is trying to hustle anybody with some tom foolery, but these folks all expect top dollar for there Corvette that may actually be a Chevette or maybe just somewhere in-between, like a Chevy Blazer or Impala or Corvair.

How in the world can you put a value on something you obvious don't know much about, let alone what the market for it is, and therefore how much it is worth? I know something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but most of the time these people seem to think they are sitting on a German gold mine that they don't know the name of, or when it was made, or exactly how big it is.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:17 am 

Hope you are well too Francis.
I have found about 90 percent of drummers have no idea what depth their toms or bass drum are. Remarkable.
I have also found that drummers outside of the Sonor circle, think that anything that says Sonor or Sonar on it, they can sell it and pay off their house.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:05 pm 

And God help those within the Sonor circle.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:55 am 

Kelly wrote:
Hope you are well too Francis.
I have found about 90 percent of drummers have no idea what depth their toms or bass drum are. Remarkable.
I have also found that drummers outside of the Sonor circle, think that anything that says Sonor or Sonar on it, they can sell it and pay off their house.

Exactly :)

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:17 pm 

You know it is not just individuals, but music stores as well. Name another business that can sell something at a premium and not know what it is? You order a truck and get a car; nope. You buy a house and get key to a condo or how about order lobster and get a bowl of chili.... not even.

This music store just listed a "Champion snare" for the small sum of 1k. Problem is it is not a Champ, but clearly a Phonic D506 with those snap locks; lots of rust too.

https://reverb.com/item/5628547-vintage-sonor-champion-14-x-6-snare-drum-w-stand

I have gotten a few good deals from guitar center cause they misidentified things. Here is a pair of Designer snares listed as 5 by 14.... looks like somebody measured from rim to rim on those Hellas. Think those are 4" piccolos; one acrylic and the other maybe ALPI Bubinga over maple? Can't quite tell.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Sonor/5X14-Designer-Series-Maple-Light-Snare-Drum.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Sonor/5X14-XRay-Snare-Drum.gc

I guess we live in the a world of "alternative facts" these days. The museum forum may have had its moments and been political at times, but at least everyone took didn't post blatant misinformation and if they did, they got quickly corrected. The FB pages really run the gamut from expert collectors to the opposite end spectrum. From FB - "1990s Sonic Plus shells were Phonic, you should sell them." Thanks Jeff for calling Bull on that one. The museum fells like reading the encyclopedia and FB like the National Inquirer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:59 pm 

Francis wrote:
the other maybe ALPI Bubinga over maple? Can't quite tell.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Sonor/5X14-Designer-Series-Maple-Light-Snare-Drum.gc

Yes, ALPI.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:30 am 

Francis wrote:
You know it is not just individuals, but music stores as well. Name another business that can sell something at a premium and not know what it is? You order a truck and get a car; nope. You buy a house and get key to a condo or how about order lobster and get a bowl of chili.... not even.

This music store just listed a "Champion snare" for the small sum of 1k. Problem is it is not a Champ, but clearly a Phonic D506 with those snap locks; lots of rust too.

https://reverb.com/item/5628547-vintage-sonor-champion-14-x-6-snare-drum-w-stand

I have gotten a few good deals from guitar center cause they misidentified things. Here is a pair of Designer snares listed as 5 by 14.... looks like somebody measured from rim to rim on those Hellas. Think those are 4" piccolos; one acrylic and the other maybe ALPI Bubinga over maple? Can't quite tell.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Sonor/5X14-XRay-Snare-Drum.gc

I guess we live in the a world of "alternative facts" these days. The museum forum may have had its moments and been political at times, but at least everyone took didn't post blatant misinformation and if they did, they got quickly corrected. The FB pages really run the gamut from expert collectors to the opposite end spectrum. From FB - "1990s Sonic Plus shells were Phonic, you should sell them." Thanks Jeff for calling Bull on that one. The museum fells like reading the encyclopedia and FB like the National Inquirer.

I reckon thats a 505 in the first pick. The top of the mech is level with the top of the hoop. Dead giveaway. And the others, definitely piccolo's wit those lugs.
And you are right, Francis. So many peeps have no idea. Astounding really, considering how much these things are worth, or were worth.