On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:49 am 

But Evans heads sound different to Remos. Even if you put the holes in it.
Just like a Coated G1 sounds different to a Coated Ambassador.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:57 am 

I hear ya Jeff. Seems it's more about the mechanics of the thing right now though.

Cliff, ported seems to more "forward" the sound, whereas it's not so wrapped around the drum.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:10 am 

Trying to apply my brain to this, but it's fast leaking out the holes. If I didn't already have so many openings, I might be considering a fresh port. :o

Cutting a hole may encourage a "forward" oriented attack, because high frequencies (beater meets batter) are directional. Attack is muted, in front of the drum, by the presence of a resonating head- although probably not by much once one gets beyond that acoustical shadow.

Bass freqencies are not directional. Escape of air doesn't conflate with direction of sound.

A ported bass speaker is not created by a cut in the speaker membrace: the hole is cut in the solid cabinet to free the motion of the membrane. In our case, with two membranes, needed pressure relief is provided by the vent hole.

The BOOOOOM character Goki is dealing with is not yet fully defined. It is a sound that, to my knowledge, I have not encountered in a Classix. I spent a great deal of effort trying to encourage what I would call boom (warm lower mid-range). Perhaps it is the enduring low bass and sub-sonic rumble?

Kelly, I suspect the S-Class bass is not very much like the S-Classix. At least, the Classix is nothing like the experience I have with maple Designer, which I would call a very round, open, resonant sound. The Classix is heavy on attack and low bass, but with a scooped out middle. Does that sound like S-Class?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:57 am 

Goki described his boom as being much like that in the video.

I think you are right Greg. A Designer kick and a SCLass Pro kick have nothing in common.
To try to be clear and simple, Designer kicks are very subdued compared to a SClass Pro kick. I know there is only .8 mil difference between the two but...it is what it is. SClass Pro kick is much warmer, capable of significant extended resonance beyond a Designer kick.

SClassix kick is a really thin shell at 6 mils. Not a doubt in my mind where a 22 x 17.5 SClassix would fall in that line up. I would expect to have been getting exactly what Goki is describing. I understand what he is describing when he says boom.
I say it humbly Greg and mean no offense, I know you own one. I just know we play/tune on opposite ends of the planet.

As far as air movement....is it possible the shell resonates less with air escaping than it would without? Is it possible that you would hear more of the batter head without venting? Sincere questions.
I sure seem to have a much more tame/subdued drum with venting than I do without. I could be hearing the added resonance of no venting and count it as volume.

Yes, I will take the "direction" comment back. I was trying to convey "focused".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:24 pm 

Kelly wrote:
...As far as air movement....is it possible the shell resonates less with air escaping than it would without? Is it possible that you would hear more of the batter head without venting? Sincere questions.
I sure seem to have a much more tame/subdued drum with venting than I do without. I could be hearing the added resonance of no venting and count it as volume...

I think that porting does not affect the volume heard from the batter head; it seems likely to just reduce the resonance that would be there from the air pushing back on the batter and keeping it in motion, if it had not escaped.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:36 pm 

Wow - this certainly moves in an interesting direction...

Greg - the BOOM is more regarding the effect, and not the low tone. In other words, the air movement inside gives me trouble... Especially if I wanna play latin music, with frequent bass patterns (caravan, blue bossa etc.)

The dilemma is this:
- IF I make a 6" hole - there's no turning back. I played non-ported bass drums before, but somehow I always ended opening the front head. Mostly because of the need for a recording, or a live sound. For example, my 18" Catalina is also ported (4" hole).

- IF I don't, then it seems that I'll need to go with a Coated Powersonic - But I think it will totally kill the bass drum sound. Whether it's a SONOR International, or an S Classix, they'll sound the same.

But, I must admit, I liked that sound on my Hilite bass drum - a clear Powersonic batter, and a ported (4") Ebony Ambassador as reso...

The problem is that the cheapest bass drum head here is $45 (instead of $25). And I hate to cut the SONOR logo head - I can't order it from back here, so... :S

Ohhhh - why can't life be simple... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:17 pm 

Quote:
the BOOM is more regarding the effect, and not the low tone. In other words, the air movement inside gives me trouble... Especially if I wanna play latin music, with frequent bass patterns

Exaaaaaaaaaaaaaaactly. Poke a hole in the dam thing lmao.

Goki....I wish you weren't so far....well...costly. I would send you a few heads. I have plenty of original Sonor kick heads as I immediately take them all off when they came to me. And I'd send you a eq1 and a regulator to try out.

My advice would echo Tim's....don't go with a 6" hole. Too big. Drum will die unmic'd.

Once again and I'll leave the topic alone...if it were my drum, it would be wearing a SKII and a EQ1.

Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:26 pm 

Goki, why not take the reso off? That will let all the air out... :o :lol: :o

I'd follow Cliff's format:

Step 1.) repair or replace the pedal. The pedal may well be reducing your ability to to modulate the impact of the beater, and thus how the drum responds to input. My experience, moving from Signature to Classix, was that the Signature pedal got in the way.

Step 2.) adjust your playing to the new sound, or, if that doesn't work:

Step 3.) save your shekels for a smaller bass.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:51 pm 

Anything but let some air out of it or try a different head lmao.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:06 am 

Kelly wrote:
Anything but let some air out of it or try a different head lmao.

:lol:

I'll search the stores again for a suitable head - we'll see what I find...
But - a scalpel is always an option... ;)

Let the good drums roll!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next