On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:16 pm 

Just picked up a set of single ply Texture Coated heads, got them on the Designer toms at the moment, have to say all you Designer guys should definitely try these out, they tune effortlessly and sound really warm and musical, and the coating sounds great for brushes too. I have them over Ambassador resos currently but at next change will probably try the Classic Clears.
My only gripe is the size of the logo, but I guess that's consistent from brand to brand.
What with the DeJohnette heads which I love, it seems Aquarian are doing all the right things (except for Superkicks of course).
Anyone else had experience of Aquarians?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:42 pm 

Coated? Are they coming off on your cymbals?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:48 pm 

Hey Nick,

Glad to see that you are having such good results with The aquarians you have been getting.

I have only limited experience with aquarians, and none of it is recent. The few things I did try, I did not like, for different reasons, and I never went back again.

How are you tuning?

What made you decide to try something beside the DeJohnette's. Was there something more/different you were looking for, or just trying tthem out of curiosity?

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:15 pm 

I know what you mean Greg, the first DeJohnette head I had came off on the sticks and onto the cymbals but the sorted that issue out a long time ago, no such problems now.
Cliff, I'd had a TC head on my 4" Lite snare for quite a while and it sounded excellent, i just fancied a change from clear emperors on the Designers, a single ply head and coated, so thought I'd give them a try, wanted a really open sound and the DeJohnettes are mildly duller because of the thicker coating.
Tuning the old fashioned way...but going for a rounded tone.
One thing about Aquarians is the more they are played the better they sound, they just become more and more musical, my Designer snare has had a DeJohnette on it for almost a year I think and I can't bring myself to change it as it sounds so good...despite wearing lol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:27 pm 

Hey Nick,

You have hit on exactly what I was wondering, but did not want to ask a leading question.

I have sat in from of JD’s Hilites on a couple of occasions, so my perception is not based on recorded (processed) sound, but I was not sure if it was attributable to the purportedly soft maple of Hilites, or to the JD aquarian heads. That perception is exactly what you described as sounding ‘mildly duller’.

I think my question about how you are tuning was a little unclear. What I should have asked is if you are tuning fairly high with the JD’s, as that might make ‘mildly duller’ not as noticeable.

Your sentiment on snare batter heads is fully understood. I hate messing with something that is working, and I probably change tom heads in a 4:1 ratio to snare batter heads.

If you were looking for a really open sound, did you consider going for a single ply clear head vs. coated?

River City Trio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:37 am 

Yes I guess they have a dryness to them (probably a better description that 'mildly duller' :lol: ) but maybe I should have tried them on the Designers as the Lite's have a dryer sound anyway. I am tuning them a little higher, they seem to prefer going a bit higher, if they are too slack the dryness makes them sound dead and flappy, but again I think Lites also prefer a higher tuning so a great combination.
On the Designers I'm going for a versatile sound if that means anything, lots of round tone, I guess in the range of tuning possibilities about middle, shame I don't have one of those tuning gauges. I wanted coated heads for brushes and a slightly rounder attack.
What heads are you guys all using at the moment?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:45 am 

I vary between clear and coated G1s on toms, depending whether maximum tonal variety or a bit more fatness is desired.

The character of DeJohnette's sound is in large measure defined by JD heads, and I suspect that they, particularly when combined with Hilites, enable him maximum freedom of expression without the danger of overwhelming other musicians; he sounds kind of like a very active big cat padding its way around.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:14 am 

Hey Nick,

G1 clear batter and resonant on:

• studio Designer kit - toms
• gigging Designer kit - toms
• Signature jazz kit - toms
• Rogers kit - toms

G Plus clear Batter and resonant on:

• Signature rock kit - toms
• Designer rock kit - toms

EQ4 batter / Fibreskyn Ambassadors Resonant on:

• All kick drums
• Signature rock kit (20”) sometimes a clear Ambassador resonant head

Snare drums:

• Hazy 300 resonant on all
• Frosted G Plus batter on some
• Clear G Plus batter, abraided to a frosted looking textured surface on some
• Frosted EC1 on some
• Coated G1 on some

I play a fair amount with brushes as well, but have still kept to textured snare batter only. Talking about it with you has given me the idea of making the same textured effect on a set of tom heads to see what else that may add to the palette. Thanks for the idea.
;)

River City Trio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:50 pm 

So you're both Evans guys...I used to love the single ply Genera dry (with the holes on the edge) especially on an old Ayotte snare I had, great sound.
Whatever, it's great to change things around every so often, it's like getting a new set of drums!
Yes it's a nice sound option to play brushes on the toms too :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:06 pm 

I am using Evans on maple Designers. I preferred Remo on Classix (birch) because the plastic itself seems slightly softer in tone. That included the bass drum which sounded much better with PS3 over an EQ4.