On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Evans Heads Review.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:10 pm 

This is what I did as per request from Kelly. I bought a 10" tom and 14" tom heads in the following Evans heads:
Clear G Plus.
Clear G2
Clear G14
Coated 14" G14 for snare.

The G14 coated on snare is the best sound I've ever heard in my life, it brought a LOT of tone and body out of my SQ 2 Acrylic snare! Also a lot of snare crispiness was brought to the forefront as well/ :D I had to turn my bottom snare mic down about 5 db. :)

The clear G2's were what Kelly described them. Very plastic no tone head, I was very disappointed in these heads.

The clear G Plus was a total winner on the rack tom, but didn't do much for the floor tom.

The clear G 14 was an absolute delight on my floor tom, lots of whoooom! without being over bearing. I was disappointed in the rack tom at a lower tuning. Very flat, no tone or attack. However, when I tuned the rack tom higher it sounded amazing!

Conclusion:
The G14 coated was the real winner here on snare drum, didn't try it on floor tom. I liked the rack tom medium tuning with a clear G Plus and a G14 on the floor tom. I also loved the clear G14 on the rack tom tuned a little higher with the G14 on the floor. This is probably going to be what I stay with.
I strongly suggest you guys check out the coated G14 for snare, heaven awaits you. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:54 am 

Nice review, Greg. Since in my world, a coated vs clear G1 is almost (but not quite) too much shift away from the liveliness of a clear G1, I am able to interpolate your findings quite well.

Interested by the G 14 on the snare, and why you had to turn down the bottom mic.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:17 pm 

Based on that review, I'm gonna give the G14 a try. Thanks for all the hard work Greg.
The 10 tom tuned higher makes sense to me with these heads.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:47 pm 

Thanks Greg and Kelly. The G14 made my snare wires more prominent in the mix, I can't describe it, just more snare sound from the bottom mic than normal.
I've had these heads for a week. I bought the different models to see what I wanted to get for all 6 of my toms around Christmas time. The coated G2 reigns supreme for my favorite tom head. For Metalcore type of music, I like the clear EC 2's. Although I'll probably end up with coated G2's (none from the experiment) on all the toms. The experiment was a success, in lieu of the expense and time spent. Because I found my ultimate snare head the G14! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:41 pm 

Greg,

That was as thorough a review as I have ever read. Thanks for going to all the trouble. I am tempted to go to the G14 for my touring snare. It is an S-Class Pro and is a workhorse and is very consistent, but it does not have any indentifiable character if you know what I mean. It's like it hasn't found it's voice yet. What reso head are you using on your SQ2 Acrylic?

Thanks,
Roland

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:17 pm 

Thanks Roland,

I'm using a Evans 300 snare side with Puresound 24 strand brass snare wires. That combo mixed with the coated G14 on top makes my snare sound better than anything I've ever played. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:10 am 

FINALLY found the time to read this topic - thanx for the thorough description Greg. It really helps if one chooses to go with EVANS heads...

My experience tells me that the clear G2 is great for live situations, but not in the studio.
The coated G14 is described by everybody as a revolutionary choice.

Thank You once again for taking the time and sharing this with us...

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:35 am 

Well, based upon Greg's reccommendation, I am going to try a G14 coated on my snare drum and a G14 Clear on my hanging tom. One thing about doing a lot of church gigs is that little surprises like garage band opening acts happen more frequently than I would prefer. The end result is the request to use one's set. I have my 14" tom tuned as low as I can risk without wrinkles so you can imagine the dimples a teenage pounder can create. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being most frequently, I change my heads at about a -3 or -4. I am way too lazy :oops: and not extremely picky :shock: so changing any heads is a big deal for me. :o

I'm here in New Orleans for a gig tonight and I will have the time to change out the heads since I flew in last night. Then it's off to Paraguay. That will be the farthest I have been from home so I packed my ruby slippers just in case. 8-)

Roland

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:31 am 

Does playing in a church band also require saying, "Yes"?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:43 am 

RolandG wrote:
Well, based upon Greg's reccommendation, I am going to try a G14 coated on my snare drum and a G14 Clear on my hanging tom. One thing about doing a lot of church gigs is that little surprises like garage band opening acts happen more frequently than I would prefer. The end result is the request to use one's set...

Hey Roland,

Sorry to hear that the obligation to provide the 'house kit' enters into the deal. :cry:

Don't overlook what is now the intermediate step of G Plus (12 mil head). I have been using them as snare batters for a few years, but they don't seem to have caught on with a lot of guys. Jumping from a 10 mil single ply to a 14 mil may be a big jump, unless you have something that really needs fattening up.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?