On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Picked up some new hats
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:21 am 

I have been watching prices for a few weeks now on Paiste 2002 Sound Edge hats. Just had a urge to re-try them after all these years.
They aren't cheap. 400 and waaaaaaaaay up
A set of them popped up with a seriously reasonable buy it now, except they were 15's.
Never tried 15 hats. In fact, I have been using 13's for a while now really enjoying them. They are quick and have noticeably lighter foot feel.
I hit the buy it now.
I forgot how ridiculously good this series is. Clean and smooth. I'm gonna stay on them and see how it progresses.
Initially, I thought the real estate alone would be a problem. I had to pull my hi hat stand out a bit.
But the sound.....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:39 am 

I had a set of 15s that I played for 25 years. Good sounding hats, but a little loud for me now. Great cut in rock band.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:46 pm 

I have reconnected with Paiste in the last year as well and am really enjoying them for live gigs where I need the cut. I picked up some of the original twenty series made by Diril and they are amazing, makes me want a whole set to replace my worn out K's.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:09 pm 

We probably all grew up in the same era.
It was zildjian or paiste, that was it.
I remember getting really turned off by paiste due to inconsistently. It seemed totally ridiculous from cymbal to cymbal.
When the 2002 sound edge came out, boy were they popular. No way could I afford them back then.
I remember my friend getting a set and he was the talk of the town.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:51 am 

I have never seriously spent time with 15" hats either. There was a time where I thought that 'sloshing' a pair of bigger hats would be appealing but I don't think that in my situation (playing kick and hats with one foot, heel & toe), that I could control them well enough.

I could say I am not surprised that Greg played 15's, but it would only be that they were not 16's'. Remember that Greg's rack tom in the same period was a 14x14. :?

Tim, I am interested in what you mean by "...worn out K's". Do you mean just that the sound is old to you, or is there something you dislike about well broken in cymbals?

I am sorry that I missed the chance to pursue the original Twenty series cymbals, but Diril AD's are a good consolation. I have one 20" Twenty series ride that is just beautiful, and it makes me believe that I would love the hats, if they have the same kind of smoky shimmer.

Tim, I would like to hear a sample of your Twenty hats.

Kelly, are the rest of your cymbals still primarily the same Sabians as I saw?

Hope you enjoy the new hats.
;)

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:02 pm 

Yes Cliff. Same Sabians. It is doubtful I would come off those as they are incredibly consistent and so different. I love them.
Having said that, I thought the K Darks were really impressive also but I don't think I have it in me to take the long journey of finding the "perfect" set.
I just picked up another 17 Xtreme and a 16 and love them.
I also, 5 minutes ago, picked up a 1978 pair of Black Label 2002 sound edge 14's at a stupidly low price. Caught me off guard when I saw it. A no brainer.
So I will make the comparison and see which I like more, 14's or 15's.

Today is bass drum day...eeerrrrrrr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:28 am 

Cliff you misread my comment, I wish I had a whole set, I have two Twenty crashes that are excellent. I want a set of hats and ride as well.
As far as the broken in K's, they were my touring set for years and now are either really broken(cracked) from too many TSA agents repacking my cymbal case incorrectly or have just lost their shimmer(meaning they probably have a crack I cant see).
The ones that stayed home are still fine and are retired from anything but recording. The new Paistes have taken over gig duties.

I would love a chance to pick out a set of Diril's but nobody has them on the rack anywhere and I hate to mail order them. Cliff where did you get yours?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:43 pm 

Hey Tim,

You are right. I misread and assumed that you were talking about Twenty series hats.

I got my Dirils by working directly with Ibrahim. He made exactly what I was looking for, and then they were routed through the US distributor to me.

Goki had brought Dirils to my attention, and that is how the whole journey began.

It is them that you see in the upper left corner of the page. Each is hand signed by Ibrahim, and the logos are black instead of the usual white for the AD series.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:15 am 

Got the 14's.
"with a pinch of centerhole wear-nothing substantial"

They are on their way back where they came from
This is one sitting on top of the other:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:49 pm 

Mine was worse than that when I sold it, although I did not try to diminish the effect. Didn't seem to affect anything as far as I could tell. Did you try them or just put the back in the box?