On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tear-GAS
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:44 am 

My kids got out of school today and I suddenly have some unstructured time for a change. Apologize for the long story about my bad case of GAS (gear acquisition syndrome).

So anyway, over the years I managed to get a few sets of old Drops and now I find myself a little over loaded. I'm looking for some advice.

Many years ago I got my first vintage set of Multi Brilliant Blue (blue satin flame) Tears stamped July 69; a six ply Chicago outfit 13, 16, 20. It was missing some parts at the time and was not up to playing shape. So I boxed her up and kept an eye out for the parts. Years later I found a kit that looked like another MB Blue from the online pics so I bought it thinking that I would make one nice kit and sell the other extra stuff off. When it arrived it was soon obvious that it was in fact MB Turquoise and was not a color match. It also turned out to be a transition kit from 65. The 20BD and one 13 rack were both 3 ply shells with re-rings. The snare, the other 13 rack and the 16 floor were all 6 ply. The badges all matched with the separate "Made in Western Germany" and the wrap all matched perfectly. These had been well taken care of by the previous owner. The date stamps I could find were from early 65 for the 3 ply and late 65 for the 6 ply. I believe this kit had been purchased together in the 60s. I have since read up on "transition" kits showing up in the mid 60s with mixed shells. Despite being Satin Flame wraps, they both had minor scratches and spider webbing, but are in great shape. The problem is now had a Chicago and a transition New York outfit. I questioned whether I needed both of them. The MB Turquoise was also not quite up to snuff, missing parts and mismatched bass drum hoops so it too went into storage. Over time, I bought most of the needed parts and stored them for the impending future project to come.

Fast forward to this year and the unthinkable happens. I found a 3ply kit from Aug 63 in M-Kristall Geld-Schwarz wrap AKA M-Sparkling Black-Gold Striped; 13, 16, 20. The price was too good to pass up so I got them and of course they needed some parts. It was not a week later that I found a second 16 floor in the same wrap, so I got it. It ended up being a 6ply; go figure. So I now had 3 Teardrop sets, all different from 63, 65 and 69. Just when I thought I was done with this current obsession, this cruel world played with my weak lack of impulse control once again and I was given the opportunity to buy a set of Rosewood Drops from the early 70's including a 12, 13, 16 and 22BD. Being the spineless Tear-GAS filled jelly fish that I am...... yep...... I bought them. Have often do Rosewood Teardrops come up on the market and with a 22 no less. This set was much more complete and really did not need anything but new heads and was of course 6 ply.

So here I am today with 4 very different vintage Teardrops. Trail of Tears, Tears of rage, Tears of grief, Tears of joy, Tears go bye, or just too many Tears.

Should I keep them cause they are each a bit unique from one another, or just pick one or more to sell?

Drowning in a pool of Tears.......

Post subject: Re: Tear-GAS
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:23 am 

Sounds like a good problem to have, Francis.

Why are you asking for sane advice from the inmates?

I'd be interested to hear your take on the shell types. And what does that 22 do? Interestingly, I could not get much happiness out of the 12" tom.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:53 am 

Yeah, I feel for ya. I love buying gear but have developed a real dislike for having multiple kits sitting around.
My advice, close your eyes and ignore the looks, play them, the one that really speaks to you, keep. If the finish is not acceptable, then look for that kit in a condition you can tolerate.
This is how I ended up with SClass Pro's. I put them up against the few other kits that I had.
Amazing how we can lean toward the way a kit looks and make It work. I was surprised by my outcome.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:01 pm 

Kelly wrote:
Yeah, I feel for ya. I love buying gear but have developed a real dislike for having multiple kits sitting around.
My advice, close your eyes and ignore the looks, play them, the one that really speaks to you, keep. If the finish is not acceptable, then look for that kit in a condition you can tolerate.
This is how I ended up with SClass Pro's. I put them up against the few other kits that I had.
Amazing how we can lean toward the way a kit looks and make It work. I was surprised by my outcome.

You're not the only one surprised. :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:39 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:11 am 

Sage advice. Thanks!