On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newport has landed...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:33 am 

Here are some tracks I recorded with the drums and some pics. Overall I love the drums. I have never bought a new drum set, so this was quite a plunge. They arrived Monday evening, and I changed the heads Tuesday, got them set up Wednesday, and tracked Thursday. I didn't touch the tuning on the reso heads, or the snare.

I really appreciate the quality of the construction and materials, albiet the wood is man made, which in its own way is cool. Having played many Alt Rock gigs with classic veneered Sonor drums, like Sigs, Phonics, and Lites, I have to say that the look of Ebony, Rosewood, or Scandi birch is best suited to a jazz club, or at least a club where the stage isn't just a few of pool tables pushed next to each other and some plywood on top. The Walnut veneer looks crazy enough to fit in a rock gig, but surely could fit elsewhere.

I recorded a new song with my band, The Good Fiction, last night. The guys commented on how much low end these drums have, coupled with crazy attack. The last set I was playing with them was the Premier Signia set. They were amazed at the difference. Sorry Kel. :lol:

The drums have clear G2's on top and clear Remo ambassadors on bottom. Snare is bone staock out of the box, Remo coated Ambassador top, clear ambassador on bottom, and steel wires. Bass drum is a clear EMAD batter and EQ3 ported front. Mics are Samson cheapies and an SM58 on the snare. An Audix i5 is on the 10 and 12. Not easily seen are two room condensers, also Samson. All running through a ZOOM R16. Home Recording Bliss!

"Like You Almost Planned It" rough mix full band
http://soundcloud.com/storsav/almost-like-you-planned-this

drums only, totally dry, stereo image, with a 2db boost to the bass drum
http://soundcloud.com/storsav/almost-planned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:24 am 

Listened to them yesterday Hale...

The drums sound great, especially in the first recording, with the whole band...

Congratulations - You and PC really got a jewel!!!

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:24 am 

Lovel drums, Hale! I haven't yet listened with headphones, and the speakers on the laptop... :roll: but I'll get to it! :D

I'm taking it that you're happy with them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:27 am 

Yes, would like to know your honest opinion Hale on how you feel about them.

As far as Signia's, your band would be the first in history as far as I can tell that didn't like them. I wonder if it's just you they don't like :D
This is meaningless because it's really all about preference, but I have not played a Sonor kit that could even compete with Signia's. Given my history, you'll know how much I love Signia's.
There are a couple of recordings from Nicko (not a fan) on Signia's that still get brought up when discussing "favorites".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:31 pm 

It goes back to that old thing about "These are the drums I hear in my head." The Signias just weren't that for me, but neither were Signatures, or lites. I love these Newports, but you know my $1000 Yamaha beech customs also sounded very good, very similar too. Head selection has a lot to with it fo sho, and the way I play. When I had Hilite Exclusives, I thought I'd sound like Dejohnette, but alas no.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:11 pm 

storsav wrote:

:shock: Beavers? :shock:

I guess you've said it all: these are the drums you hear in your head. I'm glad you have found what you love! :D :D :D

The dry track sounds pretty dry to my ear, very percussive with a lot of bass. The mix sounds great. At about 3:40, there are some interesting tones from the toms; perhaps they are being played more subtly than the full on attack through the rest of the piece. I suspect that played less aggressively, the tonal qualities of the kit might stand out more fully.

How do these compare to Phonics?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:59 am 

They sound almost exactly like Phonics...at triple the price. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, they do have more sustain and a more attack, which I chalk up to the TAR and the sharp 45 degree bearing edges.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:24 am 

storsav wrote:
They sound almost exactly like Phonics...at triple the price. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounding like PHonics is a good thing, if my memory serves. It's only been twenty years since I played them, but I at the time I played them for six years straight, five nights a week. I should remember them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:01 am 

Those look great! Good on ya to grab the snare and 14" floor.
They sounded real good in the mix with the processing.