On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 22" K DARK MEDIUM RIDE
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:02 am 

Had a chance to try one yesterday - a friend is selling, and another friend is a potential buyer, so I had the chance to test it with the Ks I have (14" K hihats, 16" and 18" K Thin Dark Crashes)...

Very well built - one thinks that it will sound awesome, with all that grooves and hammering...
In fact, to me it sounded very dull - loud, but with no clear stick definition. It covered all the other cymbals, never (not once) managing to blend with either the crashes or hi hats. Like a duck between chicks... :?

I expected this baby to be loud, because after all, it's a 22", and my Avedis early 60s 22" Medium Ride was lovely (not for every occasion, but still). You'd ride the A for 10-15seconds, and it opens like a charm.

The K - nothing's happening. Just a LOUD sound that's getting You nowhere... :(

My 22" Ride days are over. I hope the friend likes it, since his rock band plays loud, with minor dynamics involved...

If I ever get a chance to search for a a cheaper substitute for gigs, for my 20" K Custom Dark Ride (which is the best thing I've played in my life), I'll go either for a 20" or 18" Sizzled version...

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:48 am 

I don't believe that size is but one aspect of the defining characteristic of a cymbal. Shape, density, weight, weight placement, material, lathing and hammering all play a part as well. I use three 22" rides and all of them are articulate, and never get lost in wash. Size does allow for greater complication in a cymbal, because vibration has to work its way through more real estate.

The 22 Istanbul sizzle I bought does tend to dissolve in wash, but then, I bought it for that, because I need something that opens up with brushes. But I don't recommend making choices based upon size, necessarily. Too many other things at play. Another variable is the drums you are matching cymbals to. The Classix did not do well with the same cymbals that work for my Designers, and the same was true in reverse. Cymbals that work with Classix made the Designers sound inarticulate. Cymbals that wored with Designers sound way too dry on Classix.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:13 pm 

I have a Zildjian 22" K Dark Medium Ride. I have to use a nylon tip stick to get the definition, it's not for the heavy type of rock music for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:27 pm 

Now there is an intersting topic that I have never heard a lot of talk about.

I had nearly forgotten that nylon tips existed. :?

Go here.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?