On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:55 am 

What would be the logical approach:
1) A bass drum riser for the 18" (like one of those I have on the Catalina Club Jazz set)?!?
2) Another batter (with a memory lock), so I can shift batters for the height?!?
3) Simply hit the bass drum head off center?!?
4) Using 2 drum pedals (but I can't replicate tension on both pedals, since they're not the same series)?!?
5) Other?!?

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:37 am 

Hey Goki,

For myself, I do not understand the need or the benefit of a bass drum riser for an 18" kick. The height itself is not an issue, and jacking up a drum to adjust it to a beater length is just backwards. :? :lol:

My beaters have been shortened a bit to prevent the bottom from digging into the head on rebound.

I use the same pedals and beaters for 18" and 20" kicks, with a memory lock set at the 18" height, and patches on both batter heads. Switching to a 20" requires nothing more than moving the beater up to the center of the 20" patch, which is only 1" of movement.

In your case, you need 2" of movement to be in the same relative position on both kicks. You may need two different beaters if you can not get 2" of variation in length without digging into the head on rebound in the 18" position.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:43 am 

The answer depends on the pedal, your foot, your finances, and your preferences.

#1: If you are fanatical about center hits, #1. Don't remember what you are using on your Cats, but I like this one, because it is dead simple, and the pedal can adjust to left or right to compensate for Sonor's off center pedal designs. http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... ps-sellers

#1 and/or #4: If you are fanatical about your pedal setup, then you are driven to using a riser and/or a second pedal. But even with a certain amount of flexibility in your approach, the shift of two inches is pretty large on rotating mass. It will really affect the feel, so you probably won't be able to reproduce a dead center hit with one pedal, without a riser.

#2 and #4: The luxurious solution is a pedal for every kick. That way, you don't have to rob Peter to pay Paul, and Peter's can keep his pants up in the bargain. The less lux solution is to make a mark on the beater shaft for either drum, which is a simpler version of #2.

#3 and #2: If you don't mind off-center hit (which I don't), then this. You can add a second beater if need be (most beaters will need to be shortened to use on an 18).

Cliff, you write too fast. :D ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:31 am 

I don't need to raise a 18" BD off the floor to accommodate the pedal hits, but it sounds soooo much better to me when the BD is off the floor! This makes me think that all BDs would sound better off the floor a bit, but with the smaller bass drums it's more pronounced to me. Just seems to open them up a bit.

- D.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:07 am 

Unless you suspend it from the ceiling, the drum is still on the floor. Conversely, the drum is never on the floor, because it is elevated by the legs and pedal. In the case of a Sonor docking station, the pedal is not gripping the hoop, although the docking station does, but without prejudice to the hoop's angle.

So aside from beater placement, what can change about the sound from a riser? The fact that the hoop is not engaged? Or an inch or two of elevation?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:40 pm 

Well if it's on a riser, you may or may not be using legs with it. But you're right, that may be beside the point. Something is touching the shell to allow it to be lifted off the ground. And usually there is a clamp on the hoop and not a pedal, but again that isn't a great deal of difference. I prefer the Yamaha system where nothing is touching the front hoop, but there are more drill holes in the shell... go I guess it's pick your poison.

For some reason I hear better sustain from an 18" BD when it's elevated a bit, but it could be psychosomatic! :) Perhaps it's closer to my aging ears and I can hear it better?

- D.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:25 pm 

phatsolid wrote:

For some reason I hear better sustain from an 18" BD when it's elevated a bit...

Does your beater strike in a different location?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:57 pm 

Gregory wrote:
Does your beater strike in a different location?

Not really. Have you ever tried a lift?

- D.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:17 pm 

phatsolid wrote:

Not really.

Really?

phatsolid wrote:

Have you ever tried a lift?

Not really.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:39 pm 

Goki,
Did I only send you 1 3000 Series bass drum pedal? I thought I sent two...

Cheers,
:ugeek: Brian