On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wood vs. nylon tip...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:26 pm 

Greg raised an interesting issue in Goki's thread about 22" cymbals.

Years ago, I used nylon tips a lot, and have not used them at all for 20 years or so.

Interested in hearing people's preferences and reasons.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:17 pm 

I once used nylon tips, too. I no longer think about them, either. But I stopped using them so long ago that memory no longer supplies the reason why. The sound must not have appealed to me; I seem to remember that the nylon delivered a relatively soft ping. I have a clearer memory of doing mental math that ran like this: since it was never the tips that broke, why accept a lower sonic characteristic to preserve a piece of the drumstick that still looked perfectly fine on the end of one of two pieces?

Currently, my sticks never break, but the tips do shatter. One day the beads are round, and the next they have a flat spot. This is a new phenomenon to me; I know Cliff and I mentioned it a little while ago, and he was wondering if the quality control of the wood had gone down. I am still using a group of sticks I bought before tip attenuation began, so I am fairly confident that it is not the quality of wood that shifted.

I believe it's the flat ride. SInce one can whack away at it without creating unwanted wash or overtones, the bead, without customary restraint, carries an impact that I never used to deliver to any cymbal. Tip decline showed up about the same time as the flat ride.

Whatever the cause, nylon tipped sticks are likely a response to shattered beads. Since I love the sound of wood on metal, I doubt that nylon tips would be useful.

Tips, when they wear down without shattering, do so rather wonderfully. As the bead loses material, the weight of the stick shifts, and the cymbal strike changes in sound. I now have a battery of sticks that were pretty much identical when new, but that now have a very different feel and sound. Some ping bright, some ping dark. Some are for faster and lighter playing, some for heavier hitting. Obviously, the heavier hitters are the newer sticks, which in turn become the lighter players as they wear.

Now, I could get behind the notion of a better lasting tip, but stop a moment. There has to be a reason to throw a stick away. With nylon tip, a stick might last me the rest of my life. As I have gotten older, the number of things that I can do before I die has decreased, and I sure don't want to include purchasing new sticks among them :lol:

Egads! I just remembered that nylon tips left nylon smears all over the cymbals. Is that true?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:14 pm 

Nylon tips left my cymbals clean... But they weren't much different than playing with a pen... ;)

Nylon tips sound great on Pinstripes and A Custom cymbals (or other brilliant finish rock series).

I remember ProMark nylon tips sounding best - but they weren't molded to the stick, and tended to pop out... :lol:
VicFirth nylon tips are molded, but the sound is a bit choked...

Gregory - I guess both of us sharpen the sticks... Calligraphy is always an option... :oops:

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:03 pm 

My recollection of nylon tips (from at least 25 - 30 years ago) includes a notion that they produce a much less defined sound and weren’t really good for much besides reducing the wear Greg speaks of…

…but I don’t think that tip wear was the issue, when I was breaking sticks at a rate of 1-2 pair a week anyway in those days. :o

I do recall a period of time when I generally carried a pair of sticks in my back pocket and played on almost anything in site, when time permitted. Maybe that was it. I don’t think the concrete rail caps, etc., sounded any more defined with nylon tips, so maybe wear was the issue. :?

Dunno. I guess it just seemed like a shame to buy something called ‘Regal Tip’ that had a rather ordinary wood tip.

River City Trio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:20 am 

I bought my first pair of nylon tipped sticks in maybe 8 years yesterday as I'm sick of the tips falling apart on my stick of choice which is the Vinnie Colaiuta signature Zildjian stick.
Used them last night and they sounded alright but I'm not totally sold on them yet. Will persevere and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:28 am 

I was never a nylon tip player until recently. I needed a brighter sound from the cymbals to cut through the music, and they do the job beautifully! I like the Vater 5A Nylon. My style has changed a lot in the past 6 months. I find heavier cymbals, 2 ply heads, and nylon sticks do the job for me. If someone would've told me a year ago, that I was going to be into screamo alternative rock I would've laughed at them, now look at me. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:58 am 

Rock and nylon tips.....NO
They last maybe through half a song. Mostly attributed to flat sitting cymbals.
Would prolly last longer on a table saw.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:27 am 

stevesmithfan wrote:
...now look at me. :lol:

We have been. We have been. :P ;)

Kelly wrote:
Would prolly last longer on a table saw.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe I never played rock.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:58 pm 

I don't mind nylon tips until I go for the ride cymbal. Not a fan of the brighter tone.
They have no durability with my playing style.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:22 pm 

This is where I find them the most objectionable as well.

For me, nylon tips can't get anywhere near the sound feel of wood on bronze.

River City Trio