On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: STICKS
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:39 pm 

Went through an arduous search for sticks to replace the Bopworks Storyville Jazz that I have been using for... at least five or six years. They want $12 a pop plus shipping for 'em, and with a world of sticks out there for 7 bucks including shipping, it seemed wasteful, particularly as the beads keep chipping.

Storyville Jazz have a lenght of 15" 13/16, and a diameter of .540 with a long taper, and are made from hickory.

Found a Vic Firth model, American Jazz 3, with length of 16" and a diameter of .545", also made of hickory.

The feel of the Firth stick almost identical to the Bopworks, fast sticks with the weight well back toward the butt. I experimented with another stick, Vic Firth SD4, which has similar measurements but a more abrupt taper, and is made from maple. Don't like its feel in hand as well, in large part because it has more weight out at the bead end. Haven't played the kit with either stick yet- drums are packed in the car - and I am looking forward to hearing the difference in cymbal sounds produced.

Anyone have a maple vs. hickory issue?

Post subject: Re: STICKS
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:58 pm 

As you know, the Firth SD4 Combo has a very different tip than your Bopworks stick so it will have a very different feel/sound on the cymbals. I much prefer maple sticks to hickory (lighter and more give) and rounded/acorn tips for playing jazz so I might not be much help here.

I'm playing the ProMark Maple MJZ9 "Jazz Café" Wood Tip for jazz
Diameter: .531"
Length: 15 5/8"
Tip Material: Wood
Tip Shape: Acorn
The JZ9 "Jazz Café" stick is light and short, making it great for jazz. Its ultra small round tip provides for a bight, delicate cymbal tone.

BTW if you wanted to try another boutique stick, Silverfox is making some awesome hickory sticks out of Massachusetts these days. They are extremely well made and have great durability: http://silverfoxpercussion.com/products/drumsticks.

You can try their Jazz Variety Pack of 6 pairs of different sizes for jazz for $40:
http://shop.groverpro.com/products/productdetail/SilverFox+Variety+Pack+%26%238211%3B+Jazz/part_number=SF-VP-J/9787.0.1.1.1016178.1017722.0.0.0?pp=12&

- D.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:08 pm 

I am currently using the SD4 combo after using the same Zildjian stick for as long as I can remember.
I had picked out a few different makes to try a couple years back when my hands were bothering me. The SD4 was in the bunch and I thought for sure would never work for me. For one, I thought they would break continually judging by the tips. For two, I had never used anything but the acorn tip.
I now have about 20 pairs in stock. They don't break and they should because my cymbals sit nearly flat. I have recently tested going back to the previous Zildjians and can't. They felt like bricks.
I don't know if I'm prepared to call them my death bed stick but they are working extremely well for me and I am not trying any others at the moment nor have plans to. Very happy with my drum and cymbal sound using them.
Like I said, very surprised. Did not think they would work for a rock guy, but they do, very well. Would like to hear a jazz guys opinion on them. Let me know when you try them Greg. They felt odd to me at first also, just took a little getting used to.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:41 pm 

Kelly wrote:
I am currently using the SD4 combo after using the same Zildjian stick for as long as I can remember.
I had picked out a few different makes to try a couple years back when my hands were bothering me. The SD4 was in the bunch and I thought for sure would never work for me. For one, I thought they would break continually judging by the tips. For two, I had never used anything but the acorn tip.
I now have about 20 pairs in stock. They don't break and they should because my cymbals sit nearly flat. I have recently tested going back to the previous Zildjians and can't. They felt like bricks.
I don't know if I'm prepared to call them my death bed stick but they are working extremely well for me and I am not trying any others at the moment nor have plans to. Very happy with my drum and cymbal sound using them.
Like I said, very surprised. Did not think they would work for a rock guy, but they do, very well. Would like to hear a jazz guys opinion on them. Let me know when you try them Greg. They felt odd to me at first also, just took a little getting used to.

I bought the SD4 because it is very close to the AJ3 and close to the Bopworks, in size. The difference is maple instead of hickory, bead shape, and taper. No one ever gives the weight of sticks in their advertising, which is too bad in a way, but then weight placement is much more important than overall weight in the way it feels in your hand. I should think the SD4 would be fine for rock, but then I think the AJ3 would be, too, since I used the Storyville Jazz for rock. Can't add much more than that, I fear. If I were you I might give the AJ3 a try to see if you like the feel.

David, what you said about hickory and maple makes sense to me, though I had never researched it. With hickory, I can use a thinner stick while still giving me good solid weight, producing a dense wood sound and having a solid and rigid rebound. The long taper makes the action feel light. Guess I'll know more after I have tried them both.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:40 am 

I missed your "Maple vs Hickory" question.
Through the years, I also preferred Maple. Hickory seemed too "hard".
The place I was ordering a head from, had the AJ series. After reading the glaring glowing reviews on them, I ordered a pair of each, 1-6.
Thanks Greg, I really wasn't looking :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:49 am 

After using the SD4 and the AJ3 on Saturday, I am missing the Bopworks which are faster.

Initial impression between the two new sticks: I put the AJ3 away rather quickly, for it felt slow. The SD4 was no quicker but had a slightly lighter feel (the opposite of my experience the day before), and the sound was good on the cymbals so I stayed with them all night.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:37 am 

Kel,

It's interesting to me that you like the SD4 for rock. I wouldn't think they have enough width or shank for rock?

- D.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:59 pm 

Actually David, you made me think about it.
What is rock?
1)They work for my tuning, a lot of sticks won't.
2)They don't hinder my cymbal sound, a lot of sticks will.
3)They were lighter and gave me better control.
4)They cut through a rock band.
5)They gave my hands needed relief.

So, in any case, rock or no, I needed another stick. My playing has noticeably improved.
I'm sure there was a time that they wouldn't have worked for me. These days I don't need maximum volume. "If you can't hear my drums, then you're too fn loud".
I should note that these Signia's might have altered things for me. These things have gobs of volume and body. Completely in love with them. All because of your post of the Marquis. ha

Looking forward to trying the AJ series.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:25 am 

Kelly wrote:
"If you can't hear my drums, then you're too fn loud".

What? ;)

Kelly wrote:
I should note that these Signia's might have altered things for me. These things have gobs of volume and body. Completely in love with them. All because of your post of the Marquis. ha

Umm, so that would mean that post of mine ultimately cost you a few thousand dollars? Have I told you how much I prefer spending other peoples' money? :D Very glad you are digging them... Of course, as you are well aware, half the stuff you buy seems to end up at my house eventually anyway!

- D.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:29 am 

There are two mint looking Walnut kits floating around for sale right now. If I had the money and the closet space...

I now have whites galore. The only orph I am keeping an eye out for is a 15ft, or even a 15 hang tom.
I am glad you spent my money. I know I know I said it....there is magic in these drums.