On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:14 am 

Well, I've decided to play with this idea yesterday.

Removed the docking station, put it on the 18" bd hoop, and clamped the 600series pedal.
It hits the bd head way too high - when I tried to lower the batter, it looks like I need to cut half of it... :lol:

Funny - this is not an issue with the 3000 series pedal.

What were SONOR thinking?!? I either need to get a bass drum riser, but it looks like the legs would be ugly in that position, or NOT use the pedal at all...

Anyone having this issue??!?!?!?

Let the good drums roll!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:44 am 

No issue, but I am using Iron Cobra pedals. ;)

I tried using a Sonor GS once, and could not even make it work for me on a 20" kick.

Sold it to Kelly, and as I recall, he had the same issue.

For a while at least, Greg had both 600 and GS; he may have more insight on that comparision.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:22 am 

They're German, and Germans know where you are supposed to hit the drum, Goki! :P :lol: Still, they did at one time make Signature pedals and left the decision up to you.

A long discussion on this topic back here.viewtopic.php?f=3&t=499

GS and 600 pedals hit in the same spot. If you like to hit dead center, that pedal is not going to work unless you cut the beater so short it no longer has any swing. The pedal axel is 7" up from the rim so there are only 2" more to center of an 18" head. I like hitting the kick off center, and my beater strikes about 12" up from the bottom of the rim - less than halfway twixt center and rim - giving a good mix of tone and beater feel, but the beater rod does need to be cut down.

Cliff, when you had your kit here, do you recall any major difference in kick sound? Nothing leapt at me, but I wasn't concentrating on it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:40 am 

Gregory wrote:
...Cliff, when you had your kit here, do you recall any major difference in kick sound? Nothing leapt at me, but I wasn't concentrating on it.

My recollection is one of your kick having a more 'complex' sound, with more overtones, etc, and mine being a bit drier.

I went back to the videos from the days for observation/confirmation, but none were very good sound quality, being captures from an inexpensive digital camera, with video capability as an afterthought.

River City Trio

What if we did all have the same opinions?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:42 am 

Sonor hardware often drives me batty. LOVED the Phonic era hardware. Hated almost everything since then.

- D.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:01 pm 

phatsolid wrote:
Sonor hardware often drives me batty. LOVED the Phonic era hardware. Hated almost everything since then.

- D.

What are we talking about? Phonic or Signature pedals?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:29 pm 

Well,
I "ditched" the idea of putting the 600 series pedal on the 18" S Classix bd. I'm using the Force 3000 pedal, with a Pearl quad-batter.

Coated Evans on batter side, and the SONOR logo Powerstroke 3 on reso.
BUT - I can't get rid of the rattle. No matter what I put inside the bass drum, the sound is high and weird, even on low tunings.

I think I need to change the batter head... :( And go with the Powerstroke 3 clear...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:23 pm 

Goki wrote:
Well,
I "ditched" the idea of putting the 600 series pedal on the 18" S Classix bd. I'm using the Force 3000 pedal, with a Pearl quad-batter.

BUT - I can't get rid of the rattle. No matter what I put inside the bass drum, the sound is high and weird, even on low tunings.

I think I need to change the batter head... :( And go with the Powerstroke 3 clear...

Evans are too plasticky and attack oriented for Classix. I'm finding that on almost any drum I have, an Amb weight Fiberskyn reso with either PS3 (for birch) or EQ4 (for maple or beech) suits my needs. I'm assuming that by "rattle" you mean too much attack. Try tuning the reso up higher to see if that doesn't take the weirdness out of it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:45 pm 

Goki wrote:
Well,

Don't forget the acoustics of the room could be affecting what you're hearing frequency wise, I have a 16x16 that I use as a BD and it sounds really low (obviously not like a 22) but again depending on where you are in the room...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:58 am 

I hope the clear Powerstroke 3 will get rid of the bads...

Come to think of it:
- What head combo do YOU use on your 18" bass drums?!?
- What are the DRUMDIAL numbers - for both batter and reso?!?

With the head combo I have now (Coated Emperor with a Coated PS3 reso), with 78 on batter side and 75 on reso side - it sounds like a tom tom!!! :lol: