On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drum mixers
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:31 am 

Hi everybody hope you are all well. Been a while since I was here.

Going to be gigging for the first time in January and wondered what mixers you are all using for inserting all your drum mic's? I have a cheap Behringer one right now and it just seems to give off a kind of hum all the time. Also it tends to make all of my toms sound the same if that makes any sense? Sounds pretty robotic actually. I can't afford to do anything about it before the gig but would like everybody's thoughts on what they use / have used in the past.

Just checked out the Benny Greb sig snare video..........VERY nice drum. :shock:

Post subject: Re: Drum mixers
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:47 am 

Allen&Heath MixWizard is what I have. They come highly recommended. I see all the sound guys here with them.
Fairly priced too. I have the 16:2 and paid 600 for it second hand, looks brand new.
Like most sound equipment it's how much bang you can get for your buck. Behringer seems to be low level "Muscians Friend" style equipment. A Soundboard is something you definitely shouldn't skimp on. I have heard phenominal PA cabinets sound like crap through a low level board. Whereas a great board can help poor cabinets.

"Pre's", "Clean" and "Headroom" are the buzz words and what you want to look for.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:13 am 

Either an Allen & Heath or a Soundcraft M series would be perfect, definitely get one used if you can, you'll be able to use the extra cash for some mics. The MixWizard would be deluxe for just live applications, but if you are going to record as well it would be about perfect. I've heard a bunch of great things about the ZED series as well. Either way good luck.
Why do you need to submix your drums? What size venues are you playing? I'm just asking because I don't know how much sense it makes to buy a drum mic/mixer rig for playing pubs if they have sound systems already. If they do save your cash.Everywhere I have played in the UK have seemed to have really nice systems already.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:02 am 

Kelly wrote:
Allen&Heath MixWizard is what I have. They come highly recommended. I see all the sound guys here with them.
Fairly priced too. I have the 16:2 and paid 600 for it second hand, looks brand new.
Like most sound equipment it's how much bang you can get for your buck. Behringer seems to be low level "Muscians Friend" style equipment. A Soundboard is something you definitely shouldn't skimp on. I have heard phenominal PA cabinets sound like crap through a low level board. Whereas a great board can help poor cabinets.

"Pre's", "Clean" and "Headroom" are the buzz words and what you want to look for.

I agree. Also Mackie isn't too bad if you're only gigging with it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:09 am 

I've got an A&H MixWiz too, but for my studio recording set-up.
Big rig to cart around, surely if that size desk is required, its supplied :? ?I'd just let the FOH guy sort it live, sub mix is a waste of time, if your gear isn't up to the FOH desks' standard.
You're sound WILL only be as good as your weakest link. Do you Sub Mix 'cos you are micing all drums, then having to bump the whole kit down to 2 or 4ish Tracks?
If you're limited for inputs, you would still be better off making sure your kit is tuned well, with balanced sustain, and pair up your Tom mics, ie;(1 mic = 2 Toms).

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:41 am 

Hi Guys thanks for the advice.

I am indeed mixing the whole kit yes. I understand I don't have to but as it's my first gig EVER I have never done this before!

I'm plugging all my mic's into my behringer rack then taking the stereo outputs from that into our desk (Which is not big enough for many more inputs) Maybe 4 at the most. Will putting mic's directly into the desk power them enough? I think it has phantom power.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:56 am 

If your board provides phantom power, and most modern boards do, then you'll have no problem. Let us know how it goes. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:06 am 

Thanks Greg :)

Pretty sure it has phantom power so I will give it a try tonight. Only 5 days to go! Pretty nerve racking!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:54 am 

Pics or it didn't happen!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:09 am 

I promise pic's Kelly! :)

It's a really small gig but we have a bigger one in January! Can't wait! :twisted: