On drums...

For drummers to exchange knowledge, ideas, opinions & equipment...
It is currently Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:01 pm 

Just wanted to post a public "THANK YOU!" to Gregory. Gregory contacted me via PM about a Giant Step Double pedal. I got it Tuesday, but right before work, so I didn't even open it until I got home this morning. I played it for an hour when I got up today. Great Pedal! Great Transaction! Great Gregory! :lol:

All the Best,
:ugeek: Brian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:30 pm 

Hey, you're welcome, Brian. Might check your exclamation point key to see if it's stuck! :lol: Glad it made it in good shape and that you're enjoying. Great pedals, I agree.

Part of our conversation involved me explaining why I was selling. Not that anyone needs to know, but my experience with doubles might be interesting to a few others guys:

I bought the double pedal, not to run a lot of double bass patterns, but rather to be able to provide quick 16th note triplets and fourplets (if that's the word) as periodic accents. I discovered another interesting use; damping with one foot while creating fast patterns with the other, and that led to the discovery that with some practice I could play on one pedal the figures I bought the double pedal for!

The annoyance of setup, subsequent comfort adjustments, the need to move the hihat outboard, coupled with the fact that I never took the double out to play because all the above, outweighs any benefit I might realize.

So I bought a single GS recently, and it's perfect.

The double pedal is not for me; in addition to the above I'm frankly intimidated by the demands on the left foot when moving to and from the hihat (the last thing I want to be doing in a quick passage is leaning over the snare to see where my boot went), but I sure learned a lot using it for a while.